Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac Grand Prix (original issue)

Bills72sj

Bill - Nice job on the GP! ?

I guess I’m part of the GP fan club, too. I owned a ‘70 model J back in the late 70s during my college days. One of my all time favorite cars.  It was about the same color as the one in the pix Gene posted. Sold it after I got married in 1980; it’s one I wish I could have held on to. Anyway, I’ve got the MPC kit, and plan to do a major build when I have time to do it justice. In the meanwhile, I have this promo sitting on the shelf as a reminder of the good old days....

70A0DF4E-C589-4227-9C38-D0B5838ED492.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr

11 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

Bill - Nice job on the GP! ?

I guess I’m part of the GP fan club, too. I owned a ‘70 model J back in the late 70s during my college days. One of my all time favorite cars.  It was about the same color as the one in the pix Gene posted. Sold it after I got married in 1980; it’s one I wish I could have held on to. Anyway, I’ve got the MPC kit, and plan to do a major build when I have time to do it justice. In the meanwhile, I have this promo sitting on the shelf as a reminder of the good old days....

Welcome to the unofficial GP club

My3GPsRF.jpg

10 hours ago, ToyLvr said:

Love that photo! Only thing is, now I miss my old GP all the more.? BTW, I seldom ever see them anymore at car shows, except for all-Pontiac shows.

I know, I take mine to local car shows every summer. I am ALWAYS the ONLY Grand Prix of ANY year. The kids really like my killer stereo.

My cousin had a '69 GP that was gold thru and thru. Had a wicked engine in it. This was around '74 or '75.  In '75, I almost traded a '74 Olds Omega S for a '72 GP that was black with a blue half top and blue interior. Salesman said it was ordered by a long time customer who refused it when it came in because he didn't like the blue top on the black car. My question is, "Why did he order it that way?" I would have traded, but I owed too much on the Olds! Bummer!

Edited by Bucky
Wrong year model

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

My cousin had a '69 GP that was gold thru and thru. Had a wicked engine in it.

There were only 3 engine options in the '69 Grand Prix.

The standard option was the 350 horse 400 4 barrel.

Then there was the 370 horse power 428.

Finally, a 428 HO option was available with 390 horse.

Supposedly, there was a 2 barrel 265 horse option available on the 400, but I have never seen one.

Even the standard 4bbl 400 had all kinds of oomph!

Steve