Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don't be afraid to ask!

In this case, see a car from a professional builder, that you want to know more about? Don't be afraid to reach out electronically to the builder, and ask for detailed photos. Recently, I saw this very cool Model A from the Stanceworks, and I was able to contact the builder Mike Burroughs through their webpage. He answered my email promptly and directed me to his Instagram account, where all sorts of WIP photos were available. He also offered to answer pretty much any question I had on it, via email or Instagram. This is the third time I've contatced a builder for WIP photos an they have all been very accomodating. 1:1 or 1:25, people like having their work appreciated and will usually help you out. 

Image result for stanceworks model a

The same can absolutely not be said for guitar players.... let me tell ya.

But yea car guys have to stick together, otherwise none of us would have ever got the first 1:1 project on the road...

Wether it's an odd part you need, a bit of tech advice, or even just a fresh set of eyes... most guys are willing to help.

It's like boaters... all of them help one another ALWAYS because they know paddling a 30ft pontoon boat sucks!

But that is a very good resource you have posted there!

I think we just like to talk to people with shared interest. Looking at this photo I can see why you would have to get a lot of information to build something like this. The first thing that catches my eye is the Coil Over  Shock sitting up in the rear above the Bed level.  You have to wonder what all the builder has going on there.  

30 minutes ago, espo said:

I think we just like to talk to people with shared interest. Looking at this photo I can see why you would have to get a lot of information to build something like this. The first thing that catches my eye is the Coil Over  Shock sitting up in the rear above the Bed level.  You have to wonder what all the builder has going on there.  

It was built more drift inspired than hot rod. There''s an interesting build thread on stanceworks about it.  Its probably as far from traditional as you could get but I bet its a fun drive

I've also had 99% great experiences with asking people about how they did what. I've been to one GSL and everyone there was glad to provide tips and techniques and even just talk about their model. That includes several past winners. Last time I went to Grand National Roadster show I talked to builders and lots of the land speed guys. They were very friendly and had some amazing stories about 300+ mph "learning experiences."  I've sat with and talked with Marcellus and in the Winged Express. He was a great guy. Really fun. My wife got to climb in a streamliner built by the son of a famous early chassis builder who's name escapes me right now. I was too big to fit. When they closed it up, she wanted out. 

All you have to do tell them you like their car and then ask them about it. 

The one I missed that I think of the most.... I spent the whole day at the SoCal NNL several years ago and talked to all but one of the great guest they had there. When the show was over, I learned that one guest I did not get to know was Steve Stanford - only of my real automotive heroes! Doh! I had no idea what he looked like.

Hangin' with Marcellus at Crusin' for a Cure

Marcellusandme-vi.jpg

Edited by Scott Colmer