Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project....Barber-Greene Paver

23 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Ok!  The secret is out!  In one of your pix I saw a full size fender in the background!  That can only mean you are using your shrinking machine to get all those parts done!  That's no fair!?

Dang!  That’s a fender for my 1946 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck.  I only WISH it were so easy Charlie!

Well the decals came in and just were not making me happy, as they were too large a letter size.  I am only using model railroad letters as it is just the simple name of Barber-Greene going on the machine. So, I ordered a smaller size.  Of course, with lots of time now waiting for the new decals to arrive,  sitting here just looking at this got my OCD going, and I decided to fix one aspect that bothered me before I decal it and dull cote the whole thing.

The tamper eccentric drive was just too much out of scale. It just looked wrong.  So........out came the wrenches and torches and the mechanics reworked it today, while social distancing themselves, as today’s paving job got cancelled as being non-essential.  Got a new set of eccentric cranks and guards installed along with some more screed operator’s platform sections. Looks MUCH better now.  Lemonade from lemons!

1B7E34FA-06BA-4331-BB9C-D0F61EFC0CB5.jpeg

71C35052-012F-4755-A454-FF76F3F3CCA1.jpeg

00BD2DDA-F163-44C0-A95F-96D12573410A.jpeg

6E9FB5E5-D316-4FD6-B17A-34BB83BFFB8F.jpeg

23C227F7-BE05-4BFE-AA7C-C8A4E8D08D55.jpeg

25E605D8-53C6-4C8F-86B1-0621BA6396E0.jpeg

2A74FC4F-448A-4148-8C0F-C00DBB023547.jpeg

Edited by redneckrigger

1 hour ago, peteski said:

This is such a wonderful scratch-built model that I think it deserves accurate lettering and logos.  I offered Tom to do the artwork and print accurate decals for him.  I sat down last night and created the artwork.

Barber-GreenLogos.jpg

I find myself without words!!! (Something that hardly EVER happens!) So if anyone wants to gauge the value of this hobby, the people and brotherhood that partake of it, and this forum, this right here does it! Priceless, and at a time when so many are in dire straits and being affected by the pandemic. I will take you up on your offer, and will owe you many times in return!  Thank you SO much! Tom Decker

39 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Way to go Peter!!?  It's what the hobby is all about!   

Absolutely, just like when you, Charlie,  share your tips and techniques and help a fellow builder out.  This is totally what paying it forward is about!!! Thank you Peter!

On 4/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, redneckrigger said:

Got the preview samples of Peteski's decals.................holy COW! Peteski, you are an artist!  I can't wait to see them on the old girl! THANK YOU!!!!

Gee, thanks Tom.  But all I did was to find a photo of an old manual, then spent some time on my computer using my mouse to basically trace all the logos, then size them properly.  To me you are the true artist who can take bunch of random plastic bits, some drawings and create a detail 3-dimensional model.  That to me is real talent!

But it is nice to know  that those decals will be the icing on your Barber-Greene "cake". :)

• 2 weeks later...

WOW !!!!!!!!!! That is a fantastic build, I have dumped a LOT of hot mix into one of these over they years and you NAILED it!  Awesome build!  I need to find your lowbed conversion thread now.... The roller is spot on too....

Jeff

Edited by Biggu

On 4/24/2020 at 11:16 AM, Biggu said:

WOW !!!!!!!!!! That is a fantastic build, I have dumped a LOT of hot mix into one of these over they years and you NAILED it!  Awesome build!  I need to find your lowbed conversion thread now.... The roller is spot on too....

Jeff

Here is the WIP thread for the lowboy:  

Here is the Under Glass thread:

Edited by redneckrigger

14 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Here is the WIP thread for the lowboy:  

Here is the Under Glass thread:

Awesome, many thanks, now to school I go...  I don't have anywhere near you talent, but I might be able to cobble something together with this new knowledge   thanks....

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 7:27 AM, landman said:

Hey Tom this is fantastic. I looked througout the thread for a reference to the source of those gratings . Were they scrounged from something else or did you scratch them?

Hi Pat, those come from Jamie at Moluminum. I sand them on a piece of sandpaper on a  flat piece of glass to get the openings to show. They are superbly done resin.