Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride

mustang1989

14 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Looks great man! I can’t wait to see it finished?

Thanks Scott! GSxhJc.gif

14 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great paint job on the hood Joe and the gloss finish looks gorgeous!  This Maverick is coming together nicely my friend!  Well done!

'Preciate you dropping in Francis. I'm just trying to keep givin' 'er the ol' "one-two". JbB3Qe.gif

14 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh my...yep, this is looking like a serious Dyno Don race car.  Excellent work, and also the scratch building is wonderful.  I like it!

Mike..

Thanks Mike! 

I'm getting pretty close to being done with the dash. I took a couple of liberties with it just to have at least a little fun. I still have the foot pedals to construct and put under it and to install a tachometer on the dash but it's pretty much where I want it. I took Macro shots against my better judgement. With that being said, the blems that show up in this pic won't be seen by the naked eye. 

zviBVK.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

On 4/1/2020 at 6:20 PM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Mike! 

Finished up the hood this morning. This whole applying white over red is NOT an easy thing to do. Fought color bleed through all the way. BUT....I got it.

You nailed the hood Joe, I can shave in that shine!,  Dash looks great. Your getting closer!

Thanks for the comments you guys. Misting the white was key. The roof was harder than the hood really because I used white enamel on the roof and had to do one helluva lot of sanding and all to get it smooth. Once that was done the decaling and gloss coats went well. The hood....I used Tamiya White primer over and got by with that because the red is a Tamiya paint. Again misting was key. I didn't have to smooth anything out on the hood as the primer laid down as smooth as silk. Just decaled it and glossed it and it was done.

After a weekend I've made some more progress on this bad boy.

After robbing the foot pedal assemblies from the AMT Mustang kit I cut the grossly over scale swing levers from the back of each pedal

DfYPsv.jpg

qBpUpy.jpg

Then I formed up the levers and made some mounts on the back side of the dash in which to "swing" the pedals with...

fPa12g.jpg

I finished this part up this morning by painting the swing levers and pedals. I also darkened the steering wheel wood just a tad...

Wt5XXm.jpg

Great improvement on the pedals set-up Joe!  Even if they will not be very visible on the finished build, it's good for the soul to make that kind of modification and you did it the right way!  Talking paint, I agree with you regarding Tamiya primer, it's pretty expensive but the best IMO as foundation for model paint.  You heading the right direction my friend!!!

On 4/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great improvement on the pedals set-up Joe!  Even if they will not be very visible on the finished build, it's good for the soul to make that kind of modification and you did it the right way!  Talking paint, I agree with you regarding Tamiya primer, it's pretty expensive but the best IMO as foundation for model paint.  You heading the right direction my friend!!!

Thanks for the comments Francis. Yeah Tamiya Rattle can primer is what I use for autos as well as aircraft builds. Just can't go wrong with the stuff.

Well I got some more done on her this week. I cut the rear and two side windows out of thin clear styrene and decaled the side windows up with racing stickers. Just waiting on those to dry so I can dunk 'em in some Future so I should be going in with those tomorrow it looks like.

Then came the moment I've been waiting for at the rear of the car. Upon close inspection of the deck lid you can see some lock studs, quick release pins and cables at the rear most corners of the lid. I received my lock pin set two days ago so I was able to get some progress done on that.

Reference shot:

Progress so far. Still have to dot the 4 spots on each plate to simulate screws with some Molotow and add the cables later but here we are for now:

• 2 weeks later...

You know fellas.....every once in a while you have to negotiate a TRUE hurdle in modeling. Sometimes it's paint, sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's things like I've been going through for the past week.....the assembly process. I've been building models for a long time and lemme tell ya.....nothing....I mean NOTHING has tested my patience and my abilities as a modeler as much as this aftermarket shifter from Futureattraction. To put it lightly...this shifter looks absolutely fantastic after it's all been put together. But therein lies the hurdle.....the assembly. At 26 pieces it is one of the most intricate PE items that I have taken on yet. I kid you not....I've got every bit of 7 hours wrapped up in this thing. I had half of it pieced together one morning after spending an hour + on it and the very next day upon picking it up to continue......it all came apart. Yeah....stuff like that and then being under the optivisor the whole time. Eyes hurt...got a headache...got pissed off......contemplated throwing stuff and I think I made up new curse words along the way . Feel free to contact me for the updated curse word list. Those that know these shifters will see some discrepancies and that this is not the shifter for this car.....I'm going to be ok with the way that it is and am more than happy to install this jewel into the interior of this car. For me it's just too sharp lookin' of a shifter to pass up. 

I've still got to cut that one long pin off ( I'm leaving it in place to be able to work with it for shift rods install) and have just a little clean up left to go as far as glue smears but a little thinner and that'll go away. I felt a TRUE sense of accomplishment when I got up from the bench this morning and wanted to show that to you all.

RoQXyD.jpg

MA8uLs.jpg

and just for a scale reference.....

og2BYh.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

22 minutes ago, Nazz said:

Hey Joe, I'm not getting them either.

Man that's wild. I mean....I'm seeing them ….and others are seeing them elsewhere. Maybe it's just a temporary Image Shack thing. Hopefully it all gets sorted out.

Edited by mustang1989

On 4/3/2020 at 6:58 AM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Mike! 

I'm getting pretty close to being done with the dash. I took a couple of liberties with it just to have at least a little fun. I still have the foot pedals to construct and put under it and to install a tachometer on the dash but it's pretty much where I want it. I took Macro shots against my better judgement. With that being said, the blems that show up in this pic won't be seen by the naked eye. 

zviBVK.jpg

Looking great so far one surgestion I have is try to remove the radio because this cars did not have them

That is impressive. Where did you get the giant pencil? LOL  Seriously the shifter is amazing. It would have taken me a lot longer if I managed it a all. And thank you, I see them now.

Edited by Nazz

19 hours ago, John Pol said:

Looking great so far one surgestion I have is try to remove the radio because this cars did not have them

Thanks John. Your input is much appreciated and you are right. For some crazy reason it didn't even occur to me to remove the radio. Pure oversight...but.....I'm already done with the dash and it'll be staying there. Just can't bring myself to go backwards with that part of the build. 

17 hours ago, Nazz said:

That is impressive. Where did you get the giant pencil? LOL  Seriously the shifter is amazing. It would have taken me a lot longer if I managed it a all. And thank you, I see them now.

Thanks Jerry!! lol 

16 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

That shifter is nuts. Did Dyno run the Mr Gasket shifter in the Marverick?

Thanks for your comments Len. He probably did use the Mr. G shifter. This was one of the liberties I took with this car though and there are a few here and there. 

15 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

I can see them now... Nice work... That shifter is absolutely nice. Wow

Thanks Scott.

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hi Joe!  I know exactly what you talking about!  I put the same in my '70 HEMI GTX and it was a real challenge to assemble...  However, this shifter and the Liberty transmission from Futurattraction is one of the the best after market kit I've seen so far.  You nailed it my friend!!!

'Preciate that Francis!!