Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO International K8

After I saw this picture of a K8 on the FB page of old photos from my home town, I looked for one and found it at Illini's. By the time I ordered it it was at AITM's. I'm not sure  if I remember the actual truck but I remember the outfit, and I knew the owner's daughters so it has a vague connection to my past. I had looked for the rear outside tirehere and was directed to some on eBay which I thought were a bit dear so I didn't purchase them. I will use the Jeep/military style from the Paystar 5000 kit. 

K8.jpg

It will have a saddle tank and single drive like in the photo.I have some frame rails that were cut so I mocked it up to determine where I have to splice to achieve the proper lenght. It looks like the long part will suffice. Do you guys figure it is long enough or should I add about an inch?

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9845.JPG

Edited by landman

It would help to see what size tire you are using.  I'd say another inch might be too much, maybe 1/2"  but it depends on where the front of the tire locates.  Assuming your single axle is located mid-spring as shown, it looks like there is a decent amount of room between the tank and front of the rear tire in the photo.  Good project!

1 hour ago, Warren D said:

It would help to see what size tire you are using.  I'd say another inch might be too much, maybe 1/2"  but it depends on where the front of the tire locates.  Assuming your single axle is located mid-spring as shown, it looks like there is a decent amount of room between the tank and front of the rear tire in the photo.  Good project!

t

Thanks Warren. I'll be using the ones in front of the grille. I'll test them for clearance then we can decide.

IMG_9820.JPG

Edited by landman

The crossmembers I have appear to be from a different kit than the rails. Using the tank as a gauge, I trimmed them to fit. They also dovetail perfectly into the notches on each side of the front bumper. Should be clear sailing with the frame from here on in.Positioned the rear suspension with a wheel at its intended location, looks like the frame is long enough. I may add the tapered ramp at the end.

IMG_9849.JPG

IMG_9850.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

44 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Great old truck. This should be fun. Do you plan on any engine or just curb side?

Curbside. It is very thick so it would be a lot of work to thin out the hood & sides. Also it would mean scratchbuilding a Red Diamond.

All I have is the wheel outers and some rims. since I don't want to "steal" from other kits, I decided to "borrow' and rigged up to make some casting forms for brakedrums/wheelbacks. By the way, that type of nozzle, cut down would work too. I might start saving some.

IMG_9856.JPG

IMG_9857.JPG

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9860.JPG

The molds turned out OK. I started cutting strips of .020 to make leaf springs. It looks like it will work. Now if I tack the first one down like in the photo and I giue the leaves one by one and allow them to dry  one at a time do you guys figure they'll hold the arch?

IMG_9861.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

IMG_9864.JPG

6 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Outstanding work your doing  ! Glad you chose to add  frame length it looks much better .

Your springs should hold the curve . Mine on oshkosh were all stacked up , I ended up just bending them around spray can and surprisingly they stayed ! 

Looks like they did Jeff. 

IMG_9870.JPG