Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Dodge short box

This started as a Little Red Express truck.

I picked up a resin short box, tailgate and grill on Ebay last year. The box needed a LOT of work to render it workable, but it was all the I could find at the time, so...

The mirrors are leftovers from the Fuzz Buster Volare, pinned in place. The air breather is a resin copy I made, with some BMF on the lid. Rims are Nascar units and the tires are those awful chunky things that I seem to have to many of. Found a use for 4 of them... :)

I hogged out the molded-in headlights and used some clear Bondic lenses. The center of the grill was opened up. The grill itself was air brushed with Molotow, then cleared with Future for an anodized aluminum look. Detailing the black on the grill was an exercise in frustration: the Tamiya tape kept pulling the Future away from the Molotow. Lots and lots of touch-ups were needed.

The antenna slid down into the fender, and wasn't noticed till after the pics were taken. ;)

Sprayed in Testors root beer and a shot of over-thinned automotive clear.

Putting it all together was fun... it's one of those kits that just never seemed to fit properly, no matter what. The chassis plate had a definite curve to it. I thought I had cured it, but it's slowly arching down again. :(

But, it's done and in its' display cabinet, and overall, I'm happy with it. 

Comments always welcome. :)

shorty 1.jpg

shorty 2.jpg

shorty 5.jpg

shorty 4.jpg

shorty 6.jpg

shorty 7.jpg

27 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

What an outstanding D-100 ! I especially admire your work on that blob-of-a-Chrysler B/RB engine --- a little work makes them presentable . I can't tell by the (excellent) photos : what transmission did you employ ?

Keep up the great work ! 

Thanks!

Yeah, the engine is kind of ... vague? Not much detail there. I used the kit transmission to match the pedals and floor shifter.

Very nice truck! To those who it may interest: If you use the older grilles, the hood should have DODGE letters on it. The older releases have this. This in no way diminishes this build, it is just a detail that may interest some. I really like the truck, by the way!

1 hour ago, Repstock said:

Very nice truck! To those who it may interest: If you use the older grilles, the hood should have DODGE letters on it. The older releases have this. This in no way diminishes this build, it is just a detail that may interest some. I really like the truck, by the way!

Yup. I tried to cast some Dodge letters off an old grill I had, but I couldn't get them to work the way I wanted. I was hoping no one noticed... ;)