Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors metalflake spray bombs

13 minutes ago, Rodent said:

If it is available,  I must do an AMT 40 Ford coupe like I did in c.1970.

That's my thought too, to do some tribute cars to ones I built as a kid, where I can actually remember what was what. I already bought some metalflake blue for a '32 Ford Phaeton, as that was one of my all-time favorites from those long ago days.

7 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I also remember letting all the metal particles settle, and pouring off the clear coloured paint for airbrushable candy colours.

I did that with the blue to get some clear blue to airbrush the "blue back room" glass on A-1E Skyraiders. B)

AD503.jpg.9be1d099f596d2b6a4db95ad33679729.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Really wish they had formulated them into their lacquer line. Seems like ages since they've added any new colors to that line.

But it is nice to have these colors back either way.

X2. I quit using enamels years ago. 

On 3/25/2020 at 11:25 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

I also remember letting all the metal particles settle, and pouring off the clear coloured paint for airbrushable candy colours.

Pretty good idea. I may give that a try. Now if the AMT and Pactra spray lacquers would just come back, I'd be in hog heaven.

28 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Now if the AMT and Pactra spray lacquers would just come back, I'd be in hog heaven.

Quite a few of the Testor lacquers fill some of the long-lost AMT and Pactra lacquer slots pretty nicely. Some of them even SMELL like some of the old AMT paints. :wub:

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Quite a few of the Testor lacquers fill some of the long-lost AMT and Pactra lacquer slots pretty nicely. Some of them even SMELL like some of the old AMT paints. :wub:

I agree. The Testors Mystic Emerald is a pretty decent stand-in for the green metalflake I used an an AWB Mustang many, many years ago, though I don't recall if that was AMT or Pactra paint back then. I intend to paint my replacement kit the same, using the Mystic Emerald. Actually I already did paint it, but messed it up pretty bad, so bought yet another kit. But if I can save the first body, I'll probably just trade off the second kit, or at least that's the current plan.

Are they really the same? Or did they just bring back the names? I ask because after seeing this thread, I googled 'Testor's Jade Green Metal Flake' and on each image the caps looked like a medium green instead of dark like it used to be. 

When I was a kid, that was my favorite color by them. I painted dozens of cars with it. 

9 hours ago, Rbray47 said:

Are they really the same? Or did they just bring back the names? I ask because after seeing this thread, I googled 'Testor's Jade Green Metal Flake' and on each image the caps looked like a medium green instead of dark like it used to be. 

When I was a kid, that was my favorite color by them. I painted dozens of cars with it. 

I really don't know for sure, but assuming they have the original formulas, I don't see why they'd have need to change them. The green looks the same to me, but we're talking 50 year old memories here, so who knows?

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

The green looks the same to me, but we're talking 50 year old memories here, so who knows?

Weren’t colors in black and white back then anyway? ?

I haven’t had the pleasure of using any of these, but I love a nice coarse flake - has anyone got any pics of anything they’ve painted with these?

If anyone in Canada needs some cans of Testors Extreme Lacquer to finish a project, Canadian Tire is clearing them out at $6.43 cdn, a saving of 3.16 cdn a can. Good selection of colours  although you may have to go multiple stores. I have seen them at multiple CanTires. They are in the house paint section. I bought several but plan to use them quickly as I lost about 20 cans to bottom edge leakage.

Edited by monza77
forgot a comma

On 3/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, Snake45 said:

Pactra paints are around, just as R/C lacquers instead.

Edited by Joe Handley

7 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Pactra paints are around, just as R/C lacquers instead.

True enough, but they're horribly stinky paints. I'm not sure either if they'd work out OK on polystyrene kits, though that might be something to try some spoon tests on.