Model Cars Magazine Forum

COVID-19 BUILD THREAD

James2

So let's assume most of us are on lockdown/stay at home orders, there are ways to pass the time, one being a hobby. Ours happens to be Model Car Building. You may not be able to go out shopping, but I'm sure we all have enough supplies at home we could build with what we have...

So whether you have a new build to start or a build you'd like to finish, I thought it would be cool to share them in one spot. Feel free to post what your working on and why and just update this thread once in awhile to show that cabin fever hasn't taken over your hobby room.

Here is something I Started just before the crisis started, I will work on it off and on during this time. It's a Aurora Aston DB4, inspired by another builder here. And because I think they are a great little Hot Rod, also known as the "Gentleman's Race Car" The first thing I did was straighten the body and add a small bit of styrene to the front edge of the bonnet, as they say over seas. I am working on the engine next.

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

Edited by James2

I started an AMT 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix immediately after finishing a Johan '68 Olds 442.

Just getting started, but I've blown apart the interior to revamp the seats, console and door panels.

It will be a long haul, but hopefully this virus garbage will be long over by the time it's finished.

image.jpeg.4d0f012f69a0e051a7e9ffa7cdfd7c18.jpeg

image.jpeg.675ba17476241398a207c8f09406a276.jpeg

image.jpeg.8e99f0f4b37eec7ae06d4777e6fbdf15.jpeg

image.jpeg.136210134a7b13da85175e80df5293fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.1059fa37f256404460b3dc6986ddb879.jpeg

image.jpeg.55953019d5838f989546047862324f0f.jpeg

Steve

3 hours ago, James2 said:

So let's assume most of us are on lockdown/stay at home orders, there are ways to pass the time, one being a hobby. Ours happens to be Model Car Building. You may not be able to go out shopping, but I'm sure we all have enough supplies at home we could build with what we have...

So whether you have a new build to start or a build you'd like to finish, I thought it would be cool to share them in one spot. Feel free to post what your working on and why and just update this thread once in awhile to show that cabin fever hasn't taken over your hobby room.

Here is something I Started just before the crisis started, I will work on it off and on during this time. It's a Aurora Aston DB4, inspired by another builder here. And because I think they are a great little Hot Rod, also known as the "Gentleman's Race Car" The first thing I did was straighten the body and add a small bit of styrene to the front edge of the bonnet, as they say over seas. I am working on the engine next.

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

This is gonna be beautiful!!!...i love these cars, and this is actually a VERY nice kit!!....looking forward to more!!!

Can't say I'm working on anything. Was in the process of moving to a new home when this went down.

Kits packed. Supplies packed. Paints packed. Tools packed. STILL packed.

So now? There will be no modeling for me...until I can set my  "factory" back up. But!  I'm spending some "real time"... "detailing"

some 1/1     stuff.....Browning Hi-Power Review by Alien Gear Holsters - Alien Gear ...

34 minutes ago, Southern Fried said:

Can't say I'm working on anything. Was in the process of moving to a new home when this went down.

Kits packed. Supplies packed. Paints packed. Tools packed. STILL packed.

So now? There will be no modeling for me...until I can set my  "factory" back up. But!  I'm spending some "real time"... "detailing"

some 1/1     stuff.....Browning Hi-Power Review by Alien Gear Holsters - Alien Gear ...

Gotta love a P.35! Just finished watching Raymond Reddington use one to good effect in last night's episode. B)

My Covid-up date:

Still on the body work. Going bumperless so the splash guards are on and smoothed. Working on door skin alignment. I made some braces to keep the body safe and straight. Also found if I build the chassis in two pieces I can assemble it inside the body. 

C5A250F7-EE46-4FA5-ADB6-294668AE946E.jpeg

D6270746-9D4B-459D-BCBB-8111A381DD6C.jpeg

DF819CC7-F36D-4F96-997D-E54A53137952.jpeg

71F11516-A5CC-4C19-B245-632809643F8A.thumb.jpeg.72d06b115f2ca09be3684f7b0e310ab2.jpeg

I’ve been participating in the Isolation 500 group build this weekend on Facebook. Decided to build a 1950 Chevy pickup from three parts kits I bought cheap somewhere a while back.

76D5D23D-D71F-4C51-94E7-800FFF0FE743.thumb.jpeg.40084776004cba114df7b374d10f1a7f.jpeg

24E686B2-A471-4464-B235-FFD5AA2B3961.jpeg.e8a4183c4efc1bdf6176fd708652ac00.jpeg

One of our favorite restaurants has this wall art which is my inspiration for the build.

Good looking builds. 
I decided to mold the tail lights in to look more realistic. Also added door pins to help align and hold the doors in place. I stripped the chrome on the other trim pieces too. I’ll redo that with Molotow after paint. 

E33EF7C4-B1F3-4A37-B672-1ED9DE004367.jpeg

0E68311C-9955-4CBB-9680-47AB598E5B3C.jpeg

That Aston is looking great! I have one of those kits; I'll be watching with interest to see how it goes together.

Here's what's on my workbench right now, an AMT '58 Edsel.

2020-04-08_07-48-10

I need to order some paints before I go too much further; apparently Edsel engines are supposed to be Caterpillar yellow and not Ford blue (who knew?).

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

That Aston is looking great! I have one of those kits; I'll be watching with interest to see how it goes together.

Here's what's on my workbench right now, an AMT '58 Edsel.

2020-04-08_07-48-10

I need to order some paints before I go too much further; apparently Edsel engines are supposed to be Caterpillar yellow and not Ford blue (who knew?).

Search a little further on engine colors. The color would depend on which engine was in the car and usually had to do with the color of the valve covers and air cleaner. The Edsel's also had some different cu.in. engines ware Ford would use the crank shaft from a larger displacement engine, sort of a factory stroker motor. Besides the yellow you mentioned they also had a white valve cover and air cleaner engine.  

22 minutes ago, espo said:

Search a little further on engine colors. The color would depend on which engine was in the car and usually had to do with the color of the valve covers and air cleaner. The Edsel's also had some different cu.in. engines ware Ford would use the crank shaft from a larger displacement engine, sort of a factory stroker motor. Besides the yellow you mentioned they also had a white valve cover and air cleaner engine.  

Thanks, yeah, I was surprised to see yellow listed as the engine color in the instructions, so I did a little digging and found this image, which is what I was going on:

2006-1-25_58EdselEnginesWeb-Large.jpg

I figure since it's a Pacer, it should have the yellow E-400 motor. Bet those white valve covers got grubby looking in a hurry...

• 2 weeks later...