Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dave and Edie Cox`s : High Country "Thunder Van" On the Workbench 4/12/20

8 hours ago, dodgefever said:

That would have been the logical choice, given (a) the real thing was based on one and (b) the Ford reissue is cheap and readily available.  

I'm not seeing any resemblance here - the hood on the 1:1 is flat like the original Econoline, continuing the belt line, not dramatically sloped down like this?

It may have been the logical choice to purchase 2 van kits but the fact that he had this van body in his parts bin that he wanted to use and start with that. He didn't want to go spend the money on 2 kits just for the body.  If you have ever followed any John's other work, you will notice that he always says that his builds aren't an exact replica and they are good enough for the girls he goes with. And the type of builder he is, he is always adding his own little flare and creativity to his builds. I am sure there is a rhyme or reason as to why he did what he did.

I appreciate the fact that John is willing to share his builds with us because he could easily keep his builds to himself and not share how he does his work here at all. He is a talented builder and I personally enjoy seeing his builds come together. At the end of the day one thing I know is that John will turn this into a stunning model when it's finished. 

34 minutes ago, Mooneyzs said:

It may have been the logical choice to purchase 2 van kits but the fact that he had this van body in his parts bin that he wanted to use and start with that. He didn't want to go spend the money on 2 kits just for the body.  If you have ever followed any John's other work, you will notice that he always says that his builds aren't an exact replica and they are good enough for the girls he goes with. And the type of builder he is, he is always adding his own little flare and creativity to his builds. I am sure there is a rhyme or reason as to why he did what he did.

I appreciate the fact that John is willing to share his builds with us because he could easily keep his builds to himself and not share how he does his work here at all. He is a talented builder and I personally enjoy seeing his builds come together. At the end of the day one thing I know is that John will turn this into a stunning model when it's finished. 

OK, just seems strange to me to use a sought after, valuable early Dodge when the correct Ford body is current and available in abundance.   Stranger still to put a lot of time and effort into a "replica" which isn't anything of the sort.  YMMV, obviously.  Have fun.  ?

5 minutes ago, dodgefever said:

OK, just seems strange to me to use a sought after, valuable early Dodge when the correct Ford body is current and available in abundance.   Stranger still to put a lot of time and effort into a "replica" which isn't anything of the sort.  YMMV, obviously.  Have fun.  ?

Stu, You just are not allowed to as a simple, logical question in some people's builds. You'll get cut a new one by some of their fans. You've been here long enough to know that by now. ?

I knew it was a mistake asking myself but I did anyway. ?

Just like I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for posting this. ?

8 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Stu... I had no idea that the Dodge van body he used was valuable and sought after. When John told me about this project prior to him starting it he mentioned that he would have to buy a couple kits to make the body long enough. But he remembered he had a van body in his parts box and he figured he would just use that since he was going to have to redo the front grill anyway, plus the fact that he wouldn't have to spend the extra money on the kits.

8 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Stu, You just are not allowed to as a simple, logical question in some people's builds. You'll get cut a new one by some of their fans. You've been here long enough to know that by now. ?

I knew it was a mistake asking myself but I did anyway. ?

Just like I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for posting this. ?

Steve.... Please tell me exactly how I "cut him a new one" as you stated? My response was not disrespectful or rude by any means towards Stu's post. I was just stating what I know about the build and by no means am I giving you any flack for posting what you did. I have known John for the past 8 years, I met him at the NNL West back in 2012 and we have become friends over the years. Just like there are many other builders who post on the forum here that I have become friends with from either seeing them at shows or talking to them off line over the years.

14 hours ago, Mooneyzs said:

Stu... I had no idea that the Dodge van body he used was valuable and sought after. When John told me about this project prior to him starting it he mentioned that he would have to buy a couple kits to make the body long enough. But he remembered he had a van body in his parts box and he figured he would just use that since he was going to have to redo the front grill anyway, plus the fact that he wouldn't have to spend the extra money on the kits.

Steve.... Please tell me exactly how I "cut him a new one" as you stated? My response was not disrespectful or rude by any means towards Stu's post. I was just stating what I know about the build and by no means am I giving you any flack for posting what you did. I have known John for the past 8 years, I met him at the NNL West back in 2012 and we have become friends over the years. Just like there are many other builders who post on the forum here that I have become friends with from either seeing them at shows or talking to them off line over the years.

Well, Chris,

You could have said you're friends with him ,, I did not know that. Looked like you were just some shmoe answering a question directed at someone else. Just seemed to me to be a bit aggressive thing to do.  The post to Stu was meant to be rather " tongue in cheek" , Thought that would be clear with all the smilies in it,,, I guess not.

I misread the situation, I apologize.

I won't be asking any more questions in Mr Teresi's threads.

Stay Safe. 

Steve. 

Hello All.......thank you so very much for the kind comments I really do appreciate them......I got the Chassis just about finished and the engine mocked-up......just need to make some engine mounts and the tins......I will make the front and rear end next.....thanks for looking.

DSCF0768_zps5ytgecdu.jpg

DSCF0769_zpsk2upshgt.jpg

DSCF0770_zpss7p69qdd.jpg

DSCF0771_zpsrgf0qj1i.jpg