Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Pontiac Bonneville

doorsovdoon

Posted in the right place this time! Just completed the Pontiac which took about three days. The kit gives the option of building a custom pick-up so there are a few parts left over, some of which seem to be for a completely different kit. It also comes with a sweet little miniature box!:D I painted up the tool box and fire extinguisher because what classic car owner wouldn't have a tool box! I love these old promo style kits, they're probably my favourite kits to build and I love how this one turned out. Will definitely be buying this one again so I can do the pick-up version.

20200707_135508.JPG

20200707_135715.JPG

20200707_135733.JPG

20200707_135841.JPG

20200707_175013.JPG

20200707_175500.JPG

Beautiful looking convertible. Great looking color combination and cleanly trimmed. I have one of these kits with the flat bottom boat in it. This might be the motivation to get it built. 

59 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking convertible. Great looking color combination and cleanly trimmed. I have one of these kits with the flat bottom boat in it. This might be the motivation to get it built. 

Thanks, David. It's a nice stress free kit to build. A heads up if you decide to build it. The interior tub didn't push up all the way around where the dashboard is which made the car sit too high at the front, or so I thought. I took it apart last night to see if I could fix it and turns out it's actually the firewall. Shave some material off along where it meets the floor and it'll sit right.

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks, David. It's a nice stress free kit to build. A heads up if you decide to build it. The interior tub didn't push up all the way around where the dashboard is which made the car sit too high at the front, or so I thought. I took it apart last night to see if I could fix it and turns out it's actually the firewall. Shave some material off along where it meets the floor and it'll sit right.

Thank you for the firewall info. I had suggested that the bottom of the windshield might have been the problem since I had had that happen on a few other models. The engine really looks good on this, I'm partial to Pontiacs anyway. 

21 minutes ago, espo said:

Thank you for the firewall info. I had suggested that the bottom of the windshield might have been the problem since I had had that happen on a few other models. The engine really looks good on this, I'm partial to Pontiacs anyway. 

Yes, the gap between the windscreen and dashboard is still there on mine so is still an issue, but there's enough space between the chassis and interior tub if you can't fix it. I left it as is when I found trimming the firewall fixed the ride height. Even if the tub fitted correctly, the firewall will still need trimming.

Edited by doorsovdoon

Gareth, you rocked this one, that is gorgeous. I have this kit and you got me itching to get it started lol. I'm a Pontiac nut anyways, also have a '69 Grand Prix to get started as well. They'll go together nicely.

39 minutes ago, Geno said:

Gareth, you rocked this one, that is gorgeous. I have this kit and you got me itching to get it started lol. I'm a Pontiac nut anyways, also have a '69 Grand Prix to get started as well. They'll go together nicely.

Thanks, man:) I'd love to see the build on the Grand Prix! Can't find those for love nor money in the UK:(

36 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The Pontiac look good Gareth. 

Not easy to find a colour that looks good on those ones.

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I was going to paint it flame red with a white interior cos none of the blue or green metallics I have suited it, so I took a chance on a dark gold and it turned out great.