Model Cars Magazine Forum

Planned Improvements to the Forum

Our web server is a vital part of our forum. It's our foundation and the bit of technology that makes the forum and web site possible. Our server runs a version of the Linux operating system. It supports the web server, forum software, and database; all of which let us deliver information quickly and seamlessly. 

Our current version of Linux is going off support and we have to upgrade the server to a newer version that will be supported for the next 4 or 5 years. This cannot be done in place. We actually have to start up a new server, install all the software, then transfer the data from the old server to the new. I'm still working out how long this will take, but right now, it looks like we might be offline for a day or so while we transfer the information, then verify the new installation. 

The benefits aren't immediately visible, but they're huge. Those of you who were around for our hacking incident know just how disruptive a system intrusion can be. Keeping Linux up to date is a big part of preventing successful attacks. The upgrade will also reduce our operating costs, which is getting more important as time goes on. The upgraded system will also be easier to maintain, something I appreciate more than most. ?

I don't have any dates yet, but it will need to happen well before November when our current version reaches end of life. I’m aiming for August so we don’t get caught in a mad rush of servers in need of updating. 

I'm also anticipating a major upgrade to our forum software. That will happen later this year. We get some new features, some security improvements, and again, it will be easier to administer. I don't think the appearance will change much, if at all, but I don't know for sure yet. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted almost everything. We're lucky we have model cars to keep our minds occupied with something positive. To that end, my goal is to keep the board and web site operating well, and the experience here both pleasant and positive. Thank you all for contributing to our community. It's needed more than ever. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them below or send me a PM. 

Thanks to Dave and the team behind the scenes who keep this great place running. Another forum I belong to was hacked and went down hard last week. They started a temporary site and are still working to get a new system set up and running. I hope this site is secure for the future, I can't imagine what I would do if this place went down too. Keep up the good work, you are very much appreciated. 

Jeff 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave. With so many negative things happening in our collective hobby right now like cancelled club meetings and contests not to mention magazines dropping like flies these forums are a great and dependable refuge for all the like-minded builders and model dreamers that depend on the forums for constant inspiration and entertainment..