Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look at Round 2's extensive revamp of MPC Grumpy's Vega Toy

tim boyd

On 7/29/2020 at 10:59 AM, my80malibu said:

The Chassis is Old as well. I would Imagine cost of revamping an entire old kit, along with the Time it would take to do that, makes it Prohibitive.

I would agree. At least they got rid of the molded in stock exhaust. I think use of the promo chassis were in most, if not all, of MPC's Pro Stock kits of the time. That, in my opinion, is also the biggest drawback to the Pro Stock Maverick that JoHan did around the same time. A promo chassis with the exhaust removed, but molded in rear suspension. 

On 7/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, tim boyd said:

The following 48 photos and commentary/captions at the link below show the new kit contents, including many extra parts and the newly tooled body, then provides a definitive confirmation of the extensive rumors of what will come next from the revised kit tooling.

Finally, a series of images compares the new kit to the original early 1970's original issue kit.

In its entirety, this kit update and revision thoroughly exceeded my own expectations. Check it out and form your own opinion!

And thanks for looking! TIM

DSC 0021

Let me add my thanks for this review as well, Tim. And BTW, I am anxiously awaiting your new book on drag models.

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Potentially nice article ruined by those "BLAH-BLAH-BLAH" water-marques from Bhotopucket !

They weren't as bad as I expected. Still lot of usable info in those pics, such as (almost) everything underneath looks to be white. 

The article doesn't specify which Vega this is, but I'm pretty certain it is Toy IX, the first Vega.  It has stock front suspension (except for a Pinto steering rack, not mentioned) and the roll cage and rear subframe is described as being tied in to the rocker panels.  IX was not a full-chassis car as originally built.

The underside shots are tough to come by for any Pro Stock car of that period.

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Potentially nice article ruined by those "BLAH-BLAH-BLAH" water-marques from Bhotopucket !

I'm using the Brave browser.....no watermarks.

The underside shots are tough to come by for any Pro Stock car of that period.

Absolutely agree. I remember Car Craft did a feature on four Pro Stocks, Jenkins Vega, Dyno's Pinto, Wally Booth's Gremlin and I think S and M's Duster. They had mediocre drawings of the chassis. Pretty useless to learn anything real, which I'm sure was the team's intent.

Edited by iBorg
add to it.

1 hour ago, iBorg said:

I'm using the Brave browser.....no watermarks.

Permit for me to apologise --- my comment , in retrospect , was unnecessary . Instead , I should have said to the effect : " Thanks for sharing that link . Excellent photos and article . " . I let emotion get the better of me (haha) .

5 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I could try a pro street version maybe but the rear tires are slicks and would need huge tires with treads.

I was thinking of something like that, maybe try and use the large treaded tires from the AMT '67 Chevelle Pro Street kit.  

I saw a photo somewhere of Bruce Larson's '74, perhaps to be a 2020 release? Because, to have both would just be too good. I pre-ordered in April, does September finally look like the release date for the Jenkins car?

Edited by samdiego

2 hours ago, samdiego said:

I saw a photo somewhere of Bruce Larson's '74, perhaps to be a 2020 release? Because, to have both would just be too good. I pre-ordered in April, does September finally look like the release date for the Jenkins car?

Sam....the picture is on the box art of the new Jenkins Vega.  See the image in my Fotki album on this subject at this link....see picture #36 (DSC 1142)....kit number has been assigned and timing is stated as "Coming Soon"    TIM  

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Sam....the picture is on the box art of the new Jenkins Vega.  See the image in my Fotki album on this subject at this link....see picture #36 (DSC 1142)....kit number has been assigned and timing is stated as "Coming Soon"    TIM  

Tim, are they also going to release the '74 as Toy XI? If not, I guess we can cobble it together with Slixx decals. B)

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Tim, are they also going to release the '74 as Toy XI? If not, I guess we can cobble it together with Slixx decals. B)

Richard....I have no idea.  Not familiar with the differences between the 1972 and 1974 Toys....but if they are superficial (at least from an exterior point of view; I expect there were numerous underbody changes in the ral cars) this would seem like a logical move down the road....TIM 

I'm looking forward to this AND the Larson USA 1 hitting the shelves but I'm seriously considering taking the two four version of the small block in the '66 Nova Pro Street/Stock kit to make it a little closer to the 1:1 version of the Pro Stock version. Even though Grumpy played around with the big block destroked to fit in the 363 cubic inch limit simply because of the superior breathing capabilities and the factory aluminum heads. We had a local engine builder that put a few of these engines together using 348 Chevy crankshafts and he was building our engines for a limited super modified class but when the word got out what we had planned the rules committee instantly outlawed the use of aluminum heads, factory production or not.