Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1979 Chevy Nova

doorsovdoon

On 9/17/2020 at 1:21 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Probably aftermarket fitments then, it's no big deal anyway. I did the line down the centre because the ones I have seen with vinyl roofs the seam go's down the middle, you can just make it out on the last picture of the red car. I thought it odd, but that's how it is, or not apparently, Lol.

I'm so buzzed by this build because I own a 1976 Nova Coupe here in Liverpool, with a factory vinyl roof that has a seam down the middle. I also owned a 1979 Caprice with the central seam too, so your build is right mate. I love my Nova, it's only a 305V8 with a 3 speed TH350 auto so it's no flyer but I don't care. It hasn't got the hatchback like the MPC one either. 

I found the custom  version of this kit many years ago at a car show and bought the the AMT dragster kit with the Lenco transmission when it was re-released years ago. Both are fairly poor kits but the MPC version has a very accurate body profile, the AMT is too boxy. 

I intend to model my car one day, and I've bought the new Revell 69  Nova for the chassis, engine and interior etc... but will use the shell of the MPC kit. 

I'm so sorry to hijack your build but I'm just so excited! I'll be watching closely and you're doing a great job mate!!!!

20200918_171459.jpg

20200918_171427.jpg

20180605_203600.jpg

CAMARO 068.jpg

76 Nova.jpg

Edited by Rockford

6 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

At least somebody appreciates my vinyl roof

You can include me in that too! ?

And to clear up any debate on the vinyl top... There were plenty single seam full vinyl top 75-79 Novas... Estimated between 16,000 to 19,479 per year, 1975 being the higest year among vinyl top units built between 1975-79 (Buyers could also option to have a painted top). The Nova Buffet started in 75. It's the first time GM offered every option available on the Nova.

I can tell you with confidence just about anything about this bodystyle... Having owned 18 75-79 Novas insured and roadworthy. Also, I stripped more than 30 cars in my time of selling parts at Carlisle Pa. events for 10 years. 

There were more trim peices on the hatchback vinyl top nova. You have the top 100% correct and it looks fantastic so far. 

Here is the last Nova I owned (it has a vinyl top). It's a 76 Nova SS. Also a photo of my current 76 Nova. (Concours Hatchback with 30x original miles). 

06-31-36--4-95a31a9574c5cda9.jpeg

15-33-29--13-4f7d7f1f2547c38a.jpeg

06-37-54--10-78f4615ef8f73425.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rockford said:

I own a 1976 Nova Coupe

Beautiful Nova in code #40 Lime Green Metallic with 03N White interior... Looks to be in great shape too!

Also, I believe that Saffron Metallic code #67 seems to a close match for the one being built here...

Edited by disconovaman

2 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Beautiful Nova in code #40 Lime Green Metallic with 03N White interior... Looks to be in great shape too!

It's original but has the expected rash on the rear quarters but otherwise in great shape. Undersealed from new. Lived in Oregon and Washington state, built in Van Nuys, LA plant alongside Firebirds and Camaros!!!

I love my Nova, it's only a 305V8 with a 3 speed TH350

Be thankful that it wasn't equipped with the POS TH-200 trans. ! 

My friends' parents had a 1978 Nova Hatch with the 350 four barrel / TH-400 (with "Switch-Pitch" torque converter) ; it had the towing package . Even with all of the California smog junk ( miles and miles of vacuum hoses and the such ) , that car moved ! I can still hear the secondaries opening on that Rochester four barrel !

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

You can include me in that too! ?

And to clear up any debate on the vinyl top... There were plenty single seam full vinyl top 75-79 Novas... Estimated between 16,000 to 19,479 per year, 1975 being the higest year among vinyl top units built between 1975-79 (Buyers could also option to have a painted top). The Nova Buffet started in 75. It's the first time GM offered every option available on the Nova.

I can tell you with confidence just about anything about this bodystyle... Having owned 18 75-79 Novas insured and roadworthy. Also, I stripped more than 30 cars in my time of selling parts at Carlisle Pa. events for 10 years. 

There were more trim peices on the hatchback vinyl top nova. You have the top 100% correct and it looks fantastic so far. 

Here is the last Nova I owned (it has a vinyl top). It's a 76 Nova SS. Also a photo of my current 76 Nova. (Concours Hatchback with 30x original miles).

They look excellent! I can see some similarities with UK/European GM styling of the same era.

I'm so buzzed by this build because I own a 1976 Nova Coupe here in Liverpool, with a factory vinyl roof that has a seam down the middle. I also owned a 1979 Caprice with the central seam too, so your build is right mate. I love my Nova, it's only a 305V8 with a 3 speed TH350 auto so it's no flyer but I don't care. It hasn't got the hatchback like the MPC one either. 

I found the custom  version of this kit many years ago at a car show and bought the the AMT dragster kit with the Lenco transmission when it was re-released years ago. Both are fairly poor kits but the MPC version has a very accurate body profile, the AMT is too boxy. 

I intend to model my car one day, and I've bought the new Revell 69  Nova for the chassis, engine and interior etc... but will use the shell of the MPC kit. 

I'm so sorry to hijack your build but I'm just so excited! I'll be watching closely and you're doing a great job mate!!!!

Rockford, yours looks great too - the sort of thing I'd be very pleased to see at a show here or even better on the road.

The Street Machine kit you posted is the one I have.

They look amazing! I love the Rally wheels with spinners on the '76 SS. Yes, the Saffron metallic '76 is the same body style as the kit, a hatchback. That Lime Green go's nice with the white roof, tempting to do that colour combo now! I'm surprised to see one in the UK though, very nice.

34 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

They look amazing! I love the Rally wheels with spinners on the '76 SS. Yes, the Saffron metallic '76 is the same body style as the kit, a hatchback. That Lime Green go's nice with the white roof, tempting to do that colour combo now! I'm surprised to see one in the UK though, very nice

Thanks Doors! I've only ever seen one other "Disco" Nova in the UK and that was on eBay and looked hacked to pieces. 

I do love it, love the colours, love the white seats and doors with the green dash and carpets it's just so different to today's cars. 

They look excellent! I can see some similarities with UK/European GM styling of the same era.

Spotted laurel, if you think of Opel Ascona, or Opel Manta Coupe (it even had the gills behind the door), also Vauxhall Firenza - long forgotten car! 

Don't know where this fellow came from, can't get rid of him!?‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Rockford said:

They look excellent! I can see some similarities with UK/European GM styling of the same era.

Spotted laurel, if you think of Opel Ascona, or Opel Manta Coupe (it even had the gills behind the door), also Vauxhall Firenza - long forgotten car! 

Don't know where this fellow came from, can't get rid of him!?‍♂️

Yes, it was the Manta I was thinking of. I really like the look of 1970s Opels and Vauxhalls. I had a Manta A for a while, and I really like the Manta Bs with chrome bumpers.

10 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Vinyl top looks good Gareth! I'll be doing my first attempt at one on the AMT 1970 Monte Carlo in the next couple of months, I'm just not sure in what order I will be doing my next 6 projects lol.

Thanks. I'm in that situation now. I usually buy a kit, finish it, and then buy another, but I've bought four kits within a week and now I'm looking at them wondering which one to do next! I haven't done the '70 but I have done the '77 Monte Carlo Snap Tite. Great little kit!

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Wow... talk about a blast from my past! I had that kit back in the 80s. Sure wished I had another one like it.

There are a few on ebay now, though not sure how difficult they are to get over there. Kits that seem impossible to find here are usually everywhere in the states.

1 minute ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks. I'm in that situation now. I usually buy a kit, finish it, and then buy another, but I've bought four kits within a week and now I'm looking at them wondering which one to do next! I haven't done the '70 but I have done the '77 Monte Carlo Snap Tite. Great little kit!

I've seen a couple of the '77 Monte Carlo snappers done nicely including an in-depth build review and would love to have a couple to do for myself. My parents bought a new Monte Carlo in 1976 that was blue and I really liked that car.

BTW, any of you guys wanting to put a more detailed suspension under one of these later Novas, the older Revell Novas are not the correct front suspension for them. 

From about '75[IIRC] they used the same front subframe as the second generation Camaro and Firebird. 

And, yes, most of the good handling goodies from the Z-28 and/or Trans Am fit right in there. 

Edited by Can-Con

2 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Good to know. You mentioned this kit being closer to the Pontiac Ventura, is the chassis/base from that?

Yes, it is but the Ventura and Nova were basically identical except for the engines, front ends and tail lights ,, and some assorted interior bits. 

IF, I were inclined to do a detailed build of my old car, I'd use the kit chassis, cut off the molded on front subframe and swap out the subframe from the AMT '70 Camaro kit.

I'd also cut off the hangers molded on the pan for the rear metal axle and use the Camaro parts.  The rear chassis pan "sheetmetal" and gas tank is basically correct, just needs better detailed suspension from the Camaro.

My old car was a bit of an odd duck as it was a very basic car with almost no options. Didn't even have a light in the glove box. and a strait6 auto tranny.

BUT, the guy who owned it before me was a mechanic [ my X-es brother in law] and I do believe he did some "tinkering" to it.

It had the sway bars front and rear, front seemed to be lower than stock. Less than 5 inches ground clearance under the front frame crossmember. and with 70 serise tires all around on those wide rims it handles like it was on rails. and that 6 ran like a Swiss watch.

I remember staying up with an '80s 3 series BMW on the Trans Canada Highway for about an hour or so one late fall day. It looked like a dog's breakfast but it was one quick car.

If you're going to do this kind of Nova, be warned: the AMT based version has a chopped top. Try to find the MPC based model. The Venturas, luckily, were MPC.

Bad Nova, and everything based on it.

1976 Chevy Nova, AMT T472 (1975)

Good Nova, and everything based on it.

1978 Nova, MPC 1-7807 (1977)

Edited by Repstock