Model Cars Magazine Forum

Noob paint ?

Tamiya makes aqueous acrylics, and acrylic lacquers. Some of their acrylic lacquers have hotter solvents and elasticizers to keep the paint flexible, and are meant to be used on the inside of Lexan RC bodies (the "PS" line of paints), while their "TS" line of spray paints and their "LP" line of bottle paints are meant to be used on styrene model car plastic. 

Testors is primarily enamels and aqueous acrylics, with some exceptions- they have some acrylic lacquer spray cans that are made with a similar formulation to Tamiya's TS lacquers.

As for Krylon, I tend not to use them for model cars.

When in doubt, read the fine print on the label, and use compatible solvents for clean up and thinning. 

Edited by gman

7 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

And if you’re not sure it’s ok for styrene, Do a test on some spare parts.

...and even if the test works out well, consider using a primer that will shield the base plastic of your model from the solvents in your chosen paint ☺️

13 hours ago, gman said:

Tamiya makes aqueous acrylics, and acrylic lacquers. Some of their acrylic lacquers have hotter solvents and elasticizers to keep the paint flexible, and are meant to be used on the inside of Lexan RC bodies (the "PS" line of paints), while their "TS" line of spray paints and their "LP" line of bottle paints are meant to be used on styrene model car plastic. 

Testors is primarily enamels and aqueous acrylics, with some exceptions- they have some acrylic lacquer spray cans that are made with a similar formulation to Tamiya's TS lacquers.

As for Krylon, I tend not to use them for model cars.

When in doubt, read the fine print on the label, and use compatible solvents for clean up and thinning. 

X2

On 9/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, RichCostello said:

I've used Krylon, with their primer many times, and it works fine for me. Just use thin, quick coats, and you will get a nice smooth, shiney finish.

I think Chris "HPI GUY" did a video on painting models with cheap spray paint.

I agree, Rich. I think  most of my models were painted with Krylon. I've never had an issue, with it!