Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hard_2_Handle_454

Came across this on eBay and thought it looked cool.  Paid a lot for it, but it's worth it.  The kit says it's a 1:24th scale, but it's a 1:25th scale.  There's also extra parts to make the S500 and 600 versions.  The kit isn't too bad, but it has some flaws.  Like a lot of models there's not much room for the windshield to be glued in.  There's also a major fit issue with the dash.  If you follow the directions, there's a huge gap between the dash and the windshield/firewall area.  I could fit another dash and a half in that gap.  I had to rework the model some to make it look right.  I was also puzzled that the underside has the engine molded in and that the hood is molded on, but there's an option to cut the hood off and then have a partial build of the engine.  Why not just have the hood off and build the whole engine to sit in there?  Kinda weird, but it's nice for a foreign model to even have that option.  I gotta go back and paint the emblems on the caps, but  over all I think it came out great.

50329023947_5b40c8cfd1_k.jpgSAM_0099 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50328845491_d242613132_k.jpgSAM_0100 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50328178328_2206ba6669_k.jpgSAM_0102 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

50328845381_6ca81162db_k.jpgSAM_0103 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

4 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking build. I didn't even know this kit existed. 

I didn't either until I randomly came across it.  There's an S600 kit out there too.  I think it's the same kit, just different box art since everything is in the kit to make the different versions.  There's a few on ebay and Megahobby sells them as well.

Good to see one built, it's worked out nicely. Didn't know about the fitment issues.

I have the racing version of the S800 and road car S600. As you say, just detail differences. The kit is very delicately detailed, much like the real thing I imagine.

Would have been cool if they'd offered the coupe version as an alternative.

43 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Good to see one built, it's worked out nicely. Didn't know about the fitment issues.

I have the racing version of the S800 and road car S600. As you say, just detail differences. The kit is very delicately detailed, much like the real thing I imagine.

Would have been cool if they'd offered the coupe version as an alternative.

It would have been interesting.  I want to say that the kit did have a removable hard top though.  As for the fit issue, if you put the dash on the interior tub where it says, there will be a huge gap between it and the wind shield.  I ended up gluing it in the right spot by the windshield and then placed the tub in (Which was hard because of the control box being part of the dash assembly.  It runs dash to floor board.).  You can't see it in the shot because of the perspective, but the doors have a gap between them and the wall, and the hand brake and other controls are pushed way forward.  The rod for the rear tires is also a little to long, but it's barely noticeable.   

I really liked the kit though.  It came out beautiful.

2 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

I didn't either until I randomly came across it.  There's an S600 kit out there too.  I think it's the same kit, just different box art since everything is in the kit to make the different versions.  There's a few on ebay and Megahobby sells them as well.

There are two manufacturers out there with a Honda S600/800. There is the one pictured here, which started life as a Nitto kit, IIRC. It came in a series with a Toyota S800 and a Nissan Fairlady roadster. You could even get them with a bodyshell molded in clear plastic. Fujimi now sells these kits. Tamiya also does a S600/800, which was first introduced in the mid-1990s. Detail is much better, and there is also a racing version (with removable hardtop) available.

12 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

There are two manufacturers out there with a Honda S600/800. There is the one pictured here, which started life as a Nitto kit, IIRC. It came in a series with a Toyota S800 and a Nissan Fairlady roadster. You could even get them with a bodyshell molded in clear plastic. Fujimi now sells these kits. Tamiya also does a S600/800, which was first introduced in the mid-1990s. Detail is much better, and there is also a racing version (with removable hardtop) available.

Nice to know. I have been looking at this and the Toyota versions by Fujimi for a while now but have not bit the bullet yet. I figured the Tamiya one was better but was not sure by how much. Thanks for the info. 

And thanks to the initial poster as well for the photos. The hard work paid off and this looks pretty great.