Model Cars Magazine Forum

What primer to use under metallic paints?

I will be using Tamiya's TS-54 Light Blue Metallic on an upcoming kit. I usually use Tamiya's white or gray primer on my kits. Is this what I should use, or is there something different I should do with a metallic paint?

Thanks,

Bart

Just wondering here.  When rattle can spraying a pearl color, say a red in this case, does it really make a difference if the undercoat is a primer or say a gold metallic?

Sure it does- pearls and metallics are semi-transparent color coats, so the base coat (be it red, grey, white primer, or a metallic undercoat) will alter the final hue, unless you spray several color coats...enough to hide the undercoat. You'll probably find a gold undercoat will make the pearl red look richer, a silver undercoat will make the pearl red look a touch cooler. 

Spoon tests will show you the effects of undercoats and their final effect when spraying the same amount of pearl or metallic over top. 

Edited by gman

25 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Just wondering here.  When rattle can spraying a pearl color, say a red in this case, does it really make a difference if the undercoat is a primer or say a gold metallic?

It does make a difference in my experience. I prefer to spray pearl or mica reds over a silver or gold base. Gold seems to give a little darker, richer color. 

These photos illustrate the difference between a silver and a gold base coat. The Edsel wagon is over Mica Silver. The Ranchero is over gold. Both are painted with Tamiya Mica Red. 

20200608_191735-1.jpg.66ffc8f998e73fff156369fea8ad5839.jpg

20190810_190054-1.jpg.b46344e08cea8f133f11c9f69df96a71.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

During your spoon testing, you are doing that aren't you ? See if a high metallic silver might not be a consideration for a base coat since you're doing a metallic color anyway. May be that depending on how many coats of the color coat you use this may make no difference at all.  

On 10/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, Plowboy said:

It does make a difference in my experience. I prefer to spray pearl or mica reds over a silver or gold base. Gold seems to give a little darker, richer color. 

These photos illustrate the difference between a silver and a gold base coat. The Edsel wagon is over Mica Silver. The Ranchero is over gold. Both are painted with Tamiya Mica Red. 

20200608_191735-1.jpg.66ffc8f998e73fff156369fea8ad5839.jpg

20190810_190054-1.jpg.b46344e08cea8f133f11c9f69df96a71.jpg

Those are fantastic! I definitely see the difference! 

I don't mean to stray away from the OP's original question but I do have one question. What would you suggest for a base coat for Candy Apple Red? I know there are a few candy colors out there - and red being the most common one. My thinking silver or gold base coat would work just as well?

45 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Those are fantastic! I definitely see the difference! 

I don't mean to stray away from the OP's original question but I do have one question. What would you suggest for a base coat for Candy Apple Red? I know there are a few candy colors out there - and red being the most common one. My thinking silver or gold base coat would work just as well?

Thanx! I would use gold under Candy Apple Red.