Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 GTO....the good one for a change

pack rat

19 hours ago, pack rat said:

Front/rear bumpers were touched up after cleaning with srategically-applied BMF and Molotow liquid chrome.

I'm still experimenting with the Molotow. The ink can give pretty good results when applied with a brush to some areas, not so good in others (applying it with the pens isn't worth the trouble due to the "dulling" issue discussed by others).    The GTO scripts and grille/headlight areas were done this way. but I also tried it on the wheel lip moldings; they looked like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH.  The profile pic (second from bottom) was taken before I re-did the moldings with BMF.  

I agree.  Molotow is good but I am still experimenting also.  I have used it on a 1/43 kit and it does look pretty good even with the pen because the surface area is so small.  I tried it on my 72 Duster 340 A/C vents (1:1) and it came out pretty good actually.  Wouldn't want to touch the area with your fingers though because I think it instantly dulls!  Great job btw.  Thanks for the response.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 5:25 PM, pack rat said:

My latest restoration; an AMT '64 GTO. 

I've never fussed over the Monogram or Polar Lights kits to compare them to the 1:1 car, but to me this is the "proper" '64 GTO kit.  Sure, it's a simple old '60's-era kit with the metal axle through the oil pan etc etc, but I just like the old stuff and to me this one looks right.

Basically box-stock.  I was missing the AMT hood inserts so I massaged a Monogram hood to fit.  The fit is a little wonky at the front corners, but I have the AMT hood painted to match just in case I ever find the inserts.  Paint is Tamiya TS-74 clear red over TS-38 gunmetal to simulate Marimba Red; not bang-on but I'm satisfied with the look. 

z19.JPG

z20.JPG

z21.JPG

z22.JPG

z23.JPG

z23b.JPG

z24.JPG

The gto came out great. I bought an original issue gto as well that was previously built but was complete. I’ve since dismantled the model ,stripped the paint and had the bumpers rechromed. Anyway, I the process of dismantling it I had a hard time popping the hood vents out and destroyed one. I looked for quite a while for original replacements but struck out. I found a guy on eBay that was selling resin repops for the original annual kit which I purchased. They are very ice ,fit great and price was right ($4.99). I’ve included a screen shot of them and the sellers eBay name. Maybe contact him and he could help?

6733264F-30D2-4335-A889-F87D305D7CAC.jpeg