Model Cars Magazine Forum

IMSA Porsche RSR 3.0

While visiting recently with my friend Mr. Bradford (HRM) he pulled this gem from his stash. Knowing my affection for Porsche he bestowed it upon me, yes it is good to have friends. Having had it for many years he doesn't recall the source. Only the body and wing are included. It's not a HRM claiber casting but I think I can do something with it.

The wing provided is the wrong style for the car I wish to build.

.2v2JqVsCjxHzrnL.jpg

I replaced it with a correct RSR wing from Reji, filled the incorrect NACA ducts in the fenders , opened all the various cast closed slots and performed some overall cleanup.
2v2JqVsB8xHzrnL.jpg2v2JqVstzxHzrnL.jpg2v2JqVs72xHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

Thanks Les.  After a marginally successful attempt to make a windshield from clear flat stock I started over with Fujimi 964 kit glass.  After reshaping the opening and replacing all the molding trim I have a decent fit.

2v2HqQEc8xHzrnL.jpg

Carved a channel to accept the back glass.
2v2HqQQ55xHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

The dry break openings in the hood didn't match my reference so I filled them and drilled new ones.

2v2HqWRfdxHzrnL.jpg

Removed the lip along the bottom of the front air dam as again didn't match my reference.

2v2HqWRwFxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

Thank you gentlemen for the interest and the comments. 

Wheels and tires are from a Porsche 917 built-up I have in the stash.  I had to repair the beads on the rims where the builder cut them from the sprue. I won't be using the front wheels as the car I'm replicating had the radial cooling fans installed. The radial fan inserts are from the Nitto/AMT 935 kit.  I'm using the 917 kit wheel backs and parts box rims to complete the front wheel assembly.

2v2Hq8ptCxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Swear I saw a complete resin 911 engine on feeBay recently......
Look forward to watching this build.

I think there is some one on ebay offering resin copies of Fujimi's EM 911 and 356 engines.