Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making acrylic paint act more like a wash?

Hey, guys.... I have been trying to use some cheap acrylic paints (Folk Art) for things like washes and such. I'm having a hard time getting it to behave like I would like. I've been using just water to make the washes, but it won't stay where it's applied, it wants to wick back into the brush. I'm wondering........ is there something I can mix these with to make them easier to work with? Alcohol maybe, or Windex?

Thank you for any suggestions....

Most washes have three basic components in common:

• The wash medium, that makes up the bulk of the wash (usually water);
  • The pigment (paint, ink, etc.);
  • And a surfactant (something that reduces the surface tension of water). This is what allows the wash to settle down into the crevices of the model, rather than “pooling” on the surface.

For years, painters used a basic wash of water + paint + dish soap to achieve this. Many still use just that, and it can work well.

Found here.

https://modelrailwayengineer.com/model-making-101-making-washes/

Hope this helps

For Folkart I use the same thinner combo I use to cut the paint for spraying from an airbrush just more of it. It has some Iso alcohol and water, some Liquitex retarder and a trace of Dawn dish soap in it ( the thinner that is). The thinner blend is about 70% water and the paint is thinned to where it wants to flow real easy. I use the same thing in Liquitex Soft Body acrylic artist paints too. The artist paints probably stick to chrome better but I actually use either on chrome. As to the dish soap you just need a little on a mixing stick put into 3oz of thinner, it takes very little to improve flow. I say that because I think people over dose it.

By no means am I saying you have to do it this way, I'm just reporting how I do it is all. I also use water clean up oils.

Edited by Dave G.

A tip I learned from Harry P’s old fantastic brass era cars was mixing Future with acrylic paint. Works great on chrome or brass. 
I use cheap craft store acrylic paints and Tamiya acrylics - seems to mix fine with both. 

edit - I see the article above, which is great, mentions mixing with Future. 

Edited by Erik Smith

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

A tip I learned from Harry P’s old fantastic brass era cars was mixing Future with acrylic paint. Works great on chrome or brass. 
I use cheap craft store acrylic paints and Tamiya acrylics - seems to mix fine with both. 

edit - I see the article above, which is great, mentions mixing with Future. 

What ratio?

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

What ratio?

I just mix until I get the look a want. I don’t pre mix a bunch, just enough to do the job I’m working on. I use a little paint pallet, squirt in a little Future, add acrylic paint. Add more as needed. 
I don’t recall if Harry mixed at a certain ratio either, but maybe I’ll surf back into one of his works and see. 

Edited by Erik Smith