Model Cars Magazine Forum

Huge losses to the modeling community

bobthehobbyguy

First off I received a notice from Mark Gustavson that Greg Nichols had passed. Gregg was a former GSL best of show winner and recently has been a judge for the event.

I also heard the Steve Hinson had passed. Steve was a great modeler and also part of the staff for running the Nnlwest.

Also Stan Pinnick has recently passed. He also was part of the staff for the Nnlwest. He was another great model builder.

Finally Randy Waugh another bay area modeler has passed. A long time participant in the Bay Area modeling community. 

I knew both Greg and Steve, great guys gone too soon. 

Our NNL East / Philadelphia NNL team lost three members this year as well. We lost Dave Cura and Ken Walkley, who both were part of the museum’s Scan The Past program. And we lost Tommy Kortman, lead guy for the Philly event.  

Maryland Area Modelers Association, home of the MidAtlantic NNL lost Gary Sutherland this year too.

It’s been a sad year all around!

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I'm surprised that Greg is gone.  He seemed fairly young. Probably had some medical problem. Excellent modeler, and a really nice guy. I met him few times when he was taking photos during our club contests.

I believe he was 58 or 59 and he died of cancer.  I didn’t know he was ill, but we’ve all lost contact this past year.

Worth mentioning he won Best in Show at GSL and was to be on the judging jury next year.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I believe he was 58 or 59 and he died of cancer.  I didn’t know he was ill, but we’ve all lost contact this past year.

Worth mentioning he won Best in Show at GSL and was to be on the judging jury next year.

That is very sad.

22 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

... My video on YouTube: GSL-XVIII (#18 2001), start at 12:21.  RIP

Yes. Wow, forgot about your old video. At the 4:20 point as Pat Bibeau is talking, there's the late Tim Pentecost right nearby, followed by the late Augie Hiscano at the 4:32 point. The late Andy Kallen is at 41:52, all towering figures in GSL history.

Edited by Russell C

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, Russell C said:

Yes. Wow, forgot about your old video. At the 4:20 point as Pat Bibeau is talking, there's the late Tim Pentecost right nearby, followed by the late Augie Hiscano at the 4:32 point. The late Andy Kallen is at 41:52, all towering figures in GSL history.

Wow! Long forgotten . . . not only Tim Pentecost (also seen getting off the bus at the museum), Andy and Renee Kallen, and Jim Fernandez.  Oh, yeah, and my own dang self twice [47:08 and 49:16]!  Although . . . like Gregg Hutchings (!), I looked a whole lot younger back then (really? 19 years ago? Go figger.).

[All Moonlight Modelers from Phoenix]

Thanks for the flashback, Kurt. Great video!

🌵😎  

Edited by Danno

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Wow! Long forgotten . . . not only Tim Pentecost (also seen getting off the bus at the museum), Andy and Renee Kallen, and Jim Fernandez.  Oh, yeah, and my own dang self twice [47:08 and 49:16]!  Although . . . like Gregg Hutchings (!), I looked a whole lot younger back then (really? 19 years ago? Go figger.).

[All Moonlight Modelers from Phoenix]

Thanks for the flashback, Kurt. Great video!

🌵😎  

Thanks for watching the video.  🙂

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2007 at 4:23 PM, Steve H. said:

Be careful what you wish for... I was sitting at work this morning, thinking how much I rather be finishing all the little details on this build, and whaddya know? The company begins a massive layoff... me included!

OK Gang, Heres my latest off the bench...

Resin 27 Ford Roadster, Rat Rod style. The Chassis, wheels, and engine are Revells Dirt Modified w/ trailer kit. I BMF'd the entire body, shot it flat black and sanded a good deal of the paint off. The track nose is from the modified kit, with a scratchbuilt wire grill (it came out OK, but I'm not real thrilled with it). I narrowed the Duvall windshield to fit the smaller cowl and cut new glass for it (one of the harder parts of this build!). The roll bar and headlights are parts box stuff. I also sanded the gumball before applying it, to make sure it would have the effect I wanted (sure made it fragile, though!).

http://images28.fotki.com/v1003/photos/1/110367/738869/P1010010-vi.jpg

Kdog Graphics Maltese cross, 25 T rear nerf bar... I had other graphics planned, but the home made decal was a poor contrast w/ the black and silver.

http://images27.fotki.com/v996/photos/1/110367/738869/P1010007-vi.jpg

Resin seat, painted Testors flat red and dirtied up with black pastel powder, scratchbuilt dash w/ craft wire bezels over photocopy guages, parts box steering wheel (The banjo had to go, way too big) and a resin skull shifter. The intakes are stainless swages (used to flare hard lines), Arrowhead distributor, MCG looms...

http://images28.fotki.com/v978/photos/1/110367/738869/P1010015-vi.jpg

Kinda got that "Happy Face" look, doesn't it? Works for me, cuz I got the happy face by finishing it.

It ain't perfect, but it was a fun build, just letting loose and not worrying about realism!

http://images28.fotki.com/v987/photos/1/110367/738869/P1010013-vi.jpg

Hope ya like... Comments always appreciated!

Here is some of Steve Hinson work. There is a link to his fotki page. 

http://public.fotki.com/ModelCarGuy2003/

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the video yesterday and was sad to see the many people we’ve lost over the past 20 years.

Aside from those mentioned in this thread, there are also the ever amazing Bob Paeth and Royle Glaser in the Revell forum.

Along with Greg Nichols, Jim Devine is interviewed but not on camera.  I’ve also been told Pat Dunnivan has passed.

Not in the video but GSL attendees, Del Paone and Barry Fadden are also gone.