Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where to buy paint?

Hello again, with another "returning to the hobby question".  Since coming back from a long, long absence I had no supplies for scale model building - all the way down to glue & brushes. I'm working on AMT's 1:25 1968 Shelby GT500 kit - the one with the green car on the box.  I'm not really concerned with 100% realism to the original car; things like painting with the actual colors available aren't really important to me.  But I do, within reason, want to do a quality build - something that will look good on a shelf - & this is my "1st attempt" build.  So I've purchased a couple of hobby knifes & a bunch of blades, 2 sets of side cutters, a half dozen various tweezers, some cheap clamps, etc.  I don't have a local mom & pop hobby shop, the ones that are within 10 miles or so don't really emphasize scale modeling.  I do have a Hobby Lobby close to home, that is where I buy most of my stuff.  It's a slow process, the money isn't really a problem if I go shopping every 2 weeks or so but I don't want to break the bank in one shot.

This brings me to paint.  After reading a bunch of posts, I've decided to go with all Tamiya paints for primer, color, & clear - with a possible dab of Testors here & there if I can't find quite the right color in Tamiya's line.  I know it's not the most economical solution, but I see vey few complaints on the performance on the product.  I don't have an air brush yet, the paint will be rattle cans & brush bottles.  I fully intend to buy what I can locally - but if I can't get what I want, what are the good on-line sources to use?  "Good" means to me reliable, fast shipping after receipt of order, reasonable shipping costs, etc. - not necessarily the cheapest price.  I've started a list & it looks like I'm going to need about a dozen different paints & primers to do what I want to do.  I'll want to buy the paint all at one time if I can. Thanks.....    

I mostly buy my stuff from ebay. I do a search for what I want, choose lowest price price plus shipping and buy. Several online vendors are on there. I usually get my paint or whatever in two to three days. Sometimes five at the most. I tried Hobbylinc recently and while I saved money, it took over two weeks to get three cans of paint. It depends on whether you want it quick or cheap.

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I mostly buy my stuff from ebay. I do a search for what I want, choose lowest price price plus shipping and buy. Several online vendors are on there. I usually get my paint or whatever in two to three days. Sometimes five at the most. I tried Hobbylinc recently and while I saved money, it took over two weeks to get three cans of paint. It depends on whether you want it quick or cheap.

Sometimes check eBay for cheapest them go to the shops online shop - I think I saved a bit on my Burbank order going directly from their website, but used eBay to search lowest prices. 

You have been given several very good sites to check out for supplies already. You had mentioned that you have a Hobby Lobby near you and that you were considering trying Testors paints. H.L. has been selling some Testors spray can for a time and Testors does offer some OEM colors as a possibility. Besides the suggestions others have given you might consider MCW as they offer a lot of OEM colors and they will even supply them in spray cans. One thing to remember before you start using any OEM paints that use the same formulas as the original us that they don't always play nice with the plastic bodies. Most builders suggest using some inexpensive plastic picnic type spoons as a test subject before spraying your model.  Better to find out just how "hot" your paint is before you craze the model body. This will also give you a chance to see just how the finish will look also. Post you Mustang build  so we all can enjoy it as well. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

You had mentioned that you have a Hobby Lobby near you and that you were considering trying Testors paints. H.L. has been selling some Testors spray can for a time and Testors does offer some OEM colors as a possibility. Besides the suggestions others have given you might consider MCW as they offer a lot of OEM colors and they will even supply them in spray cans. One thing to remember before you start using any OEM paints that use the same formulas as the original us that they don't always play nice with the plastic bodies. 

Thanks David - I will buy what I can from the local HL & even "not-so"-local hobby stores - but I really do want to stick with Tamiya across the board where possible as I know I won't have any compatibility issues.  Next choice is Testors, but only for detail items where I can't find a Tamiya color.  I have MCW bookmarked; I have a couple of builds planned as "tribute" builds - one a '68 Charger R/T that my dad had for a while (I have that kit); another a '63 Impala SS that my brother-in-law is currently working on to bring back to a primo as stock daily driver (I have yet to buy that kit).  I'll want both of those to be sprayed in factory correct colors & will do so after I buy an air brush & do a build or 2 with it.  

19 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Burbank’s House of Hobbies. Just got an order from them today. 

9 hours ago, GeeBee said:

X2, haven't ordered from them for a while, but before the Covid, I'd get packages from them in around 5 days, great service.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Paintandwrenches said:

There is a guy on eBay, his store is called The Basement Model shop. He carries a lot of stuff, has great feedback and is based out of Circleville. I order from him quite a bit. 

Local - I like it, thanks for the tip!

32 minutes ago, Venom said:

I’m not sure if they do the Tamiya line or not, but I’ve ordered AutoAir Colors from spraygunner.com in Florida a couple times and have been blown away by how fast I’ve recieved my order in WY.

👍

Tower Hobbies has Tamiya paint and a quick check of their website shows that they 532 skus of Tamiya paint. Check them out as they run specials like free shipping or $15 off a $50 purchase. They also have Testors and other paint. 

Welcome back to the hobby and post up your work.

19 hours ago, Kevinch said:

Thanks David - I will buy what I can from the local HL & even "not-so"-local hobby stores - but I really do want to stick with Tamiya across the board where possible as I know I won't have any compatibility issues.  Next choice is Testors, but only for detail items where I can't find a Tamiya color.  I have MCW bookmarked; I have a couple of builds planned as "tribute" builds - one a '68 Charger R/T that my dad had for a while (I have that kit); another a '63 Impala SS that my brother-in-law is currently working on to bring back to a primo as stock daily driver (I have yet to buy that kit).  I'll want both of those to be sprayed in factory correct colors & will do so after I buy an air brush & do a build or 2 with it.  

I didn't want you to think I was suggesting one over the other, just that Testors carried the color you mentioned that you were considering. I'm a long time user of the Tamiya product line myself but do use some other products when Tamiya doesn't have what I'm needing at the time. Good luck with your builds.