Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/16 57' Chevy

skymnky721

Wow,,been doing some commission builds this month  for some folks at roush,,but had time to finish the 1/16 AMT  57'  Belair,,it turned out ok,,but there was alot of "fine tuning" and other stuff to get it here.  I wont bore us with all of what I had to do,,but it took alot longer than it should have.  The color is Tamiya  pearl green,,which turns out to be a GM color from back then,,custom mixed paint for the 2 tone interior,,and of course added some x-tras in the engine bay.  All in all,,it was a cool kit to do.  And worth the purchase price.  Keep those plastic creations moving forward!   Cheers,,,,S

004.JPG

009.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

022.JPG

026.JPG

011.JPG

Edited by skymnky721

Thanks guys,,the cragar mags in the kit are really cool,,but youll need your dremel tool to "clean" up some of the mating surfaces,,like  bottom of interior bucket,  has some ejector mold pin "circles"  that got in the way of the flush fit of interior bucket sitting flat on chassis,,  had to remove the top of the trans tunnel to get  flush fit when placed on chassis,,, and there was a bizzare gap  between the rear bumper and rear deck panel when mocked up,,so I had to shorten the lower portion of rear bumper to close up the gap,,not sure why it was like that,,I taped off all the trim and painted instead of foil,,, scratch built a floor shifter,,,,painted the bumpers testors diamond dust quik dry,,and there was  some seam gaps with the rear tail lens mating surfaces to the body,,had to hand file a bit to get a tighter fit,,made the steering posable,,but this kit was probably tooled in the 70's is my guess,,so its all part of building these classic kits,,which I am still happy to have on the display shelf,,  now on to the T-bolt  prostock  customer  build,,,Cheers!

Edited by skymnky721
typo

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice build Scott.  Maybe its me or the pictures, but the body looks shorter than the real car.

It could be the pics,,not sure,,but the rear bumper is a bit closer to the rear deck panel  after I  removed about  1/8 inch from lower  portion of bumper for a tighter fit,,maybe thats it.  Im not sure what the exact wheelbase is on the 1:1,,but  the body overall  length  hasnt been modified  at all.  I may get the large Nomad kit  also,,that would be cool. 

6 minutes ago, skymnky721 said:

It could be the pics,,not sure,,but the rear bumper is a bit closer to the rear deck panel  after I  removed about  1/8 inch from lower  portion of bumper for a tighter fit,,maybe thats it.  Im not sure what the exact wheelbase is on the 1:1,,but  the body overall  length  hasnt been modified  at all.  I may get the large Nomad kit  also,,that would be cool. 

Yep, probably the pictures, and yeah the Nomad would be cool too. Without looking, I think the Nomad is a '55.

2 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Yep, probably the pictures, and yeah the Nomad would be cool too. Without looking, I think the Nomad is a '55.

Actually,,Id like to get the 1/16th 55,  sedan convt,,,,AND  the Nomad as well,,you can add so much x-tra features to the large kits. Thanks all for the kind comments,,enjoy your works as well!  

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Scott, I have never done anything larger than 1/24. Just my opinion of course, to me the bigger kits require a higher skill level of detailing when it comes to accurate finishes. 

As for my "works" I'm no where near a lot of folks on here.  I always say, I'm still a WIP🙄

Actually,,the larger kits are easier to do,,IMO.  All the detail work is much larger,,which is easier to see,,and  work with. Now it does use up more paint ,,glue ect,,but thats ok.  Try one,,you may like doing a 1/16th,,like maybe the Nomad?  Heres a 1/8th Entax Bugatti ,,customer build

003.JPG

006.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:14 AM, David G. said:

Nicely Done!

All those different colors on the chassis of the Chevy remind me of an illustration from one of those old "How It Works" books we all read as kids.

David G.

LOL,,yea I remember those books,,I always like to have a color contrast on the underside,,instead of all black or whatever. Highlights the components.  Thanks for the kind comments  to all.