Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting flash removal tool

23 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I don’t see what advantage the flexibility would provide? If it came with a permanent curve and double edged maybe?

x2...  Not sure putting enough pressure on the blade to make it conform is good for most seam or flash removal.  But, I haven't tried it so I guess I'm no judge.

Edited by hedotwo

On 2/11/2021 at 8:01 AM, Jonathan said:

I just ran across these, and was thinking of purchasing.  Has anyone used this product?

Hi Jonathan,

This is Jon from Flash Master Hobby.  I originally designed the blades for the trimming of flash on injection molded figures.  The slimness and the flexibly have huge advantages and allow you to get at the most hard to reach flash with less force, which translates into more control.  BUT, I'm not a model car buff, so I can't give specific examples of how it would help you - but I can say that the blade carves polystyrene so effortlessly that I have to believe that there are many applications in your end of the hobby.  In fact, I'm looking for people in different areas of expertise to give them a try so I can get their feedback and answer questions like yours.  If you're up for it, I could send you a free pack of 10 for you to check out and see if they are useful to you.  If you are interested, please message me on our Facebook page!

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, Matt Bacon said:

I’ve noticed when I scrape flash/seams on certain types/hardnesses of plastic, I get a sort of “bar code” effect along the seam, which I then have to sand out. If the flexibility of these blades stops that happening, they might be worth a look...

best,

M.

What you are describing is familiar to anyone who has used a lathe.  It is called chatter and it is cause by the cutting tool flexing and rebounding.  On that basis I would say that this is not the tool for you. 

By the way, the best way to remedy the problem you describe is to change the angle of the blade from perpendicular to the seam.  One pass perpendicular, one angled left and then one angled right.  You do that because chatter becomes more pronounced with each pass.