Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tinting clear tail lamp lenses

I’ve been struggling to replicate clear-red and clear-amber tints on tail lamps. I love it when kit manufacturers mould these parts in the correct colours, but all too often you get given a clear plastic part. I’ve always used a Humberol clear red and amber paint, but I’m really not getting the results I want. 
Can anyone recommend a better way?

I usually use Tamiya clear paints (which I assume are very similar to Humbrol clears). Sometimes I have to apply more than one coat. I have the Humbrom paints too, but I havent' tried them (since Tamiya paints work fine for me). What is the specific problem?

3 hours ago, peteski said:

I usually use Tamiya clear paints (which I assume are very similar to Humbrol clears). Sometimes I have to apply more than one coat. I have the Humbrom paints too, but I havent' tried them (since Tamiya paints work fine for me). What is the specific problem?

The humbrol clears are celulose paints (as I found out after destroying my paint brush in the humbrol thinners)

I don't know if you have Sharpie pens in the UK but I'm sure that there must be an equivalent of some sort.

81tCv2Gx39L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.a017929de7a81e2f58c77558822a91d8.jpg

In a pinch, I sometimes use them to color clear lenses. The best example that comes to mind is these lenses that I modified years ago. They were cast as a single red lens with no accommodation for the reversing light part of the lens. What I did what was cut off the offending part and attach a clear piece on which drew in the red details with a fine-point Sharpie pen. I believe this is when I first hit on the idea of using a marker in this fashion.

1045055775_Robo04_00.jpg.5f21bce3079463e9b677b9b943ed4cbf.jpg

I hope you find this helpful. 

Best Regards,

David G.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

The humbrol clears are celulose paints (as I found out after destroying my paint brush in the humbrol thinners)

I believe that "Cellulose paint" is an European colloquial term meaning organic-solvent based (lacquer?) paints (like Accu-Paint, Tru-Color, Zero, MCW paints, or any of the automotive touch-up paints).  Humbrol is AFAIK also organic-solvent based enamel paint (similar to Testors PLA enamels).  Are you saying that Humbrol clears use different chemistry?  Are they "hotter" than standsard Humbrol paints?

Why would that destroy brushes?  I almost exclusively use organic-solvent based "stinky"  paints, and clean my brushes with lacquer thinner or acetone. I have newer "ruined" a brush. Most  of my brushes are 20-30 years old.  I do admit that I use my airbrush for as many painting tasks as I can (often more than average modeler), but my paint brushes still get a fair amount of use.

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

I believe that "Cellulose paint" is an European colloquial term meaning organic-solvent based (lacquer?) paints (like Accu-Paint, Tru-Color, Zero, MCW paints, or any of the automotive touch-up paints).  Humbrol is AFAIK also organic-solvent based enamel paint (similar to Testors PLA enamels).  Are you saying that Humbrol clears use different chemistry?  Are they "hotter" than standsard Humbrol paints?

Why would that destroy brushes?  I almost exclusively use organic-solvent based "stinky"  paints, and clean my brushes with lacquer thinner or acetone. I have newer "ruined" a brush. Most  of my brushes are 20-30 years old.  I do admit that I use my airbrush for as many painting tasks as I can (often more than average modeler), but my paint brushes still get a fair amount of use.

I used the humbrol enamel thinners and the paint turned to rubber on them. my own fault for not reading the tin but i assumed it was enamel since the tins are the same

5 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I used the humbrol enamel thinners and the paint turned to rubber on them. my own fault for not reading the tin but i assumed it was enamel since the tins are the same

So your brushes simply gummed up with paint? Ok, that makes more sense now,  As I read it, your earlier post seemed to imply to me that Humbrol thinner itself ruined your brushes.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:05 AM, peteski said:

The Humbrol paint is just awful. Its not an enamel, and it behaves strangely. Its very stringy and simply not red enough. I've put 3 coats on and the red just accumulates in certain areas and pulls away from sharp edges. The tail lamps still look mostly clear. If I start using a 4th and 5th coat the paint layer thickness will begin to impact the fit of the parts.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:08 AM, GeeBee said:

I've been using Tamiya clear acrylic to do all my light lenses, airbrushed @ around 15 psi, seems to work for me. 

20210219_110550.jpg

20210219_110610.jpg

Thanks for sharing those images. I'm off to buy some Tamiya clear-red and clear-amber now. Thanks for the tip.