Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '64 Olds Cutlass 442 Hardtop

Casey

On 5/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, 1972coronet said:

Has anyone given consideration to building either the convertible or the hardtop with an Econ-O-Way 225 V6 ? 

I'm considering doing that with the drop-top ( the hardtop will retain its 330 Rocket / 4-speed ) , but am wondering if there's a resin 225 V6 available ? 

Would it be 'close-enough' to chop the Buick Electra 225's Nailhead of two of its cylinders ? Maybe the old MPC Jeepster ( Mount N' Goat  , recently , IIRC... ) has a convincing oddfire 225 ?

Not the 401, the Nailhead is a completely different style of engine when compared to the 225/300/340. I've had all three over the years in real '64/65 Skylarks (someone put a 340 in one of my '65s) and it wouldn't look right. 

I just bought this AMT '64 Olds Cutlass Hardtop kit.  I test fit the chassis and there is a space on either side where it should meet the body.  

Is this normal for this kit or is the bottom of the body(at the rockers) spread too far apart?

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the chassis the same as the original kit? If that's the case it would be a poorly-fitting chassis and could use an upgrade. One that comes to mind would be the '65 Chevelle Z16, or maybe one of the 66-67 GTO frames. In any case it'll need some modification. 

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I don’t have my originals handy to compare, but the convertible (right) seems to have bigger gaps than the ht frame (left) 

2B3ADEF7-1CC9-4265-B118-09EC1781C5AA.jpeg

My hardtop has about the same gaps as your convertible.  I looked at the body and it doesn't appear to be spread apart at the bottom.  I'll be using a chassis from a Lindberg '67 Olds 442 kit so I'll just work with it to make it fit.  I just wanted to make sure the body was OK.

13 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I just bought this AMT '64 Olds Cutlass Hardtop kit.  I test fit the chassis and there is a space on either side where it should meet the body.  

Is this normal for this kit or is the bottom of the body(at the rockers) spread too far apart?

The HT rockers are spread too far apart.

12 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the chassis the same as the original kit? If that's the case it would be a poorly-fitting chassis and could use an upgrade.

The chassis fits the convertible; therefore, it should also fit the HT.

11 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I don’t have my originals handy to compare, but the convertible (right) seems to have bigger gaps than the ht frame (left) 

It's not the frame/chassis. If the chassis are dimensionally identical, which they should be considering they're made from the same tooling, the problem is with the convertible body. That is obvious. Measure the width of both bodies at the rocker panels. From your photo, the convertible body appears wider. This could be a result of a production-related problems with the body. I've seen the same in other kit where the bodies were too wide and had similar gaps.  Add shimstock to both chassis/frame edges and cement the rockers to the chassis/frame. 

Edited by SfanGoch

On some of the older kits, the bottom of the body had to be spread out slightly to allow the interior bucket to fit in.  Most interior buckets could be slid in from the back of the car, but if you weren't careful doing this, the steering wheel rim could end up breaking.

Just got my hardtops yesterday and the roof actually looks like the one on my real car! Score! lol

The vent window frame is slanted back a little too far and the window is way too small. It's easy enough to fix I guess but they should have gotten it right the first time. 

IMG_20211112_083037000.jpg

Edited by gui_tarzan