Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just finished this one up in the last few days. Overall I'm happy with it. It's painted with Tamiya "Color for Aircraft", rattle can spray paint. AS-8 Navy Blue (US Navy). Decals are BarracudaCals, F4U-1 Birdcage Corsairs part 1. The decals from that set I used were, "F4U-1 Corsair. Bu no. 03821 "White 485" OTU VF-4". Representing a plane used for final phase of training, before going into combat, at NAS Jacksonville, FL in February of 1945. Im very happy with BarracudaCals decals. They're easy to use, and look very good. 

AMT's kit itself, is okay. Not up to the standards of hardcore World War II model aircraft build, I'm sure. Other than the fit of the tail to the fuselage, it's good enough for me. The only other thing I'm not happy with is my detailing of the canopy. I used blue and black Sharpie markers. And I'm not 100% happy with how that turned out. The canopy is not glued in, so I may try to change that sometime down the road. 

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

On 3/15/2021 at 8:02 PM, TransAmMike said:

One of the coolest WWII fighters!!  Model looks great Scott👍

12 hours ago, Jim B said:

Always loved the Corsair.  This one came out great.  Well done.

9 hours ago, TonyK said:

Great plane and a great looking model. I'd like your photos taken with a plain background as it would highlight your model better.

Thank you, guys.

That didn't come out half bad at all! If you can get the canopy frames painted to match, it'll be really nice! 

BTW, I have one of these kits I've been messing with off and on since the '70s. Not sure if I'll ever get it finished. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That didn't come out half bad at all! If you can get the canopy frames painted to match, it'll be really nice! 

BTW, I have one of these kits I've been messing with off and on since the '70s. Not sure if I'll ever get it finished. :unsure:

I've been waiting to hear from you Snake. I respect your opinion, especially when it comes to model airplane. And agree. It didn't come out half bad. The canopy is the only thing I'm not really happy with. And as noted before, I may have to change that in the future. 

21 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I've been waiting to hear from you Snake. I respect your opinion, especially when it comes to model airplane. And agree. It didn't come out half bad. The canopy is the only thing I'm not really happy with. And as noted before, I may have to change that in the future. 

The AMT is one of the few 1/48 Corsairs I've never built (completed). I've built the Monogram (2), Otaki (2), Lindberg, Hasegawa (2), Heller (3), and Academy (2) that I can think of right offhand. I still have to build an AMT, a Tamiya, a Hobbycraft, and a Hobby Boss. 

CorsairCircus07.jpg.7f8b8cc3c2bc6ea5a815d88bed983f05.jpg

CorsairCircus05.jpg.63e49fe6ddede0ff6976a991b4d46d87.jpg

Here's what my AMT looked like last time I worked on it (several years ago). The plan is to finish it as a British one in their distinctive gray and green camo. 

AMTF4U08.jpg.065162fd1b087836f4a7cc9a1a13c3b5.jpg

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The AMT is one of the few 1/48 Corsairs I've never built (completed). I've built the Monogram (2), Otaki (2), Lindberg, Hasegawa (2), Heller (3), and Academy (2) that I can think of right offhand. I still have to build an AMT, a Tamiya, a Hobbycraft, and a Hobby Boss. 

CorsairCircus07.jpg.7f8b8cc3c2bc6ea5a815d88bed983f05.jpg

CorsairCircus05.jpg.63e49fe6ddede0ff6976a991b4d46d87.jpg

Here's what my AMT looked like last time I worked on it (several years ago). The plan is to finish it as a British one in their distinctive gray and green camo. 

AMTF4U08.jpg.065162fd1b087836f4a7cc9a1a13c3b5.jpg

Good looking fleet. But, you to get to work and finish the others. The AMT kit may not be overly detailed, I'm sure compared to the other Corsair kits out there. But again, I'm pretty happy with results.

Also did you see my latest acquisition, in the "what did you get non-automotive model thread?" A few more upcoming builds. I'd love hear your thoughts on that.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:52 PM, unclescott58 said:

Also did you see my latest acquisition, in the "what did you get non-automotive model thread?" A few more upcoming builds. I'd love hear your thoughts on that.

Saw it. Seems like a pretty cool collection, though none of those airplanes is particularly in my wheelhouse. 

• 2 weeks later...

That turned out pretty dang good overall. You might could use the Eduard canopy mask for the Tamiya kit on this one with some slight trimming here and there. Stuff is low tack and works great. I just airbrush light coats and it peels off and leaves a nicely painted frame every time. It's from the UK but there's one on ebay for sale for around $12. If you're not in a hurry for it I'm sure it'll work great for this.

Here you go: (EDMEX061) - Eduard Mask 1:48 - F4U-1 Birdcage (Tamiya) 8591437510610 | eBay

Canopy masks for the Tamiya kit wouldn't come close to working on this one. Easiest way to mask the frames would be with strips of masking tape. Mask all the ones going one way first, paint them, then when the paint is dry, remove the tape, mask off the frames going the other way (perpendicular), and paint those. I've done this several times and it works well.