Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Ford FD-100 Pickup*

Tom,  Thanks for the tip. I got a little paint on the cab, hood, and box.  I was a little worried when I first started out on a test pad as the paint was just spitting blobs out.  I just kept thinning the paint until it started to spray pretty good.  I mixed a little black in with the midnight blue and now I'm thinking I should have left it straight midnight blue.  Maybe once I clear coat it the color will appeal to me a little better.  What do you guys think of this color?  Give me the good, bad, and the ugly guys.  

20210326_134736.jpg

20210326_143251.jpg

20210326_143202.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Hi Bob, good progress on this build. It’s hard to tell on an IPad screen, but the colour looks interesting to me. My eye tells me it will look black in dim light, and blue in brighter light correct? If so, my opinion is “really cool”. Clear coat will likely make it pop, and give it some depth.

Cheers, Steve

Thank for the comment on the interior slasher.  Out of town in Tennessee for a few days fellows so hopefully I can shoot some clear on the body early next week to see how this midnight blue turns out.  I'm hoping your right about the clear making the color pop Steve.

Edited by Zippi

I shot 3 coats of Tamiya clear this morning and it sure doesn't look like it did much.  I know it was covering because I could see it going on with each pass.  I mixed it 50/50 with Lacquer thinner.  Think I should wait a few days and spray it again???

20210330_090357.jpg

20210330_090540.jpg

20210330_091025.jpg

Finally got around to spraying another 3 coats of the Tamiya Clear on all the body parts.  I got a say.....I'm am not impressed with this clear at all.  The bottle doesn't say gloss so I guess clear is what I got.  It's just not shining like I thought it would.  Oh well.....it is what it is.  I'll know next time to do a little more research to find something I can airbrush that has a gloss to it rather than just a clear finish.  I'm on to the final assembly.

Question: Think I can use some Meguiar's Liquid Wax on the Tamiya Clear???  

20210405_091359.jpg

20210405_091524.jpg

20210405_091618.jpg

Edited by Zippi

I tried a little Meguiar's Liquid Wax on the back of the cab were it wouldn't show and it was ok over the clear.  Didn't do a lot as far as shine but it did slick the surface up.  I also got the wheels painted gun metal.  

20210406_090727.jpg

20210406_091632.jpg

20210406_092809.jpg

20210406_092852.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Well.....I was going to buy another kit to replace the damaged windshield in my kit but no kits are available locally.  I spoke with the manager at Hobby Lobby where I purchased the kit and I was told they would not be getting any more of the kits in.  I then contacted Revell for a replacement part and once I submitted my request this popped up "Please note that currently no spare part orders can be delivered to the USA. Since the shipping has been stopped by the service providers. This is in connection with the COVID 19 virus. Enquiries are therefore currently not being processed. Please try again at a later date"  I guess now I'm looking at trying to hide the crack in some way or just use it as is.   

Windshield #2.jpg

Edited by Zippi

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would give an update on the cracked windshield I had in my kit.  I contacted Revell about a month ago about a replacement and never heard anything so I never thought anymore about it.  Well....today the replacement windshield showed up.  I have to say, Reveal came through and they seem to stand behind their product.

20210510_160649.jpg

20210510_161017_001.jpg

Edited by Zippi

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, Zippi said:

I'm calling this one done......fried, died, and laid to the side.  Final pictures will be posted in "Under Glass" shortly.    

I guess I missed this one my friend. I tend to not look at the truck section (forgetting it includes pick-ups).  You did a great job on that buddy!!