Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush paint filter that goes inside the jar?

Micro-Mark used to sell these filters which were basically a screen at the end of the tube in the glass paint jar.  Unless I'm overlooking something (quite possible) I don't see them on their site anymore.  

Assuming they no longer carry them (please link if they do) who else might have something similar?

I have been using that type of filter for years. I made it myself.  You can see it at the end of the siphon tube.

Badger200_SiphonTube.JPG

It is made from very fine Nylon (?) screen, and attached with some 30 AWG wire.  Years ago, when computers used CRT-based monitor, some of the ones we used at work had a fine screen mesh in front of the picture tube.  It was supposed to increase contrast, and also provide privacy (picture was not visible from the sides - only straight on).  It was an aftermarket item.  When they were replacing those monitors I grabbed couple of those mesh screens. Seemed like perfect stuff to use in my hobbies.  While I have not used it on any model, the stuff works great as a filter.  Once I'm done painting and shoot lacquer thinner through the airbrush, I can see tiny bit of fuzz stuck to the filter, so I know it worked.

But the mesh is so fine that it blocks the metallic particles in some of the metallic paints.  So for those paints I have to remove the filter.

2 minutes ago, peteski said:

I have been using that type of filter for years. I made it myself.  You can see it at the end of the siphon tube.

Badger200_SiphonTube.JPG

It is made from very fine Nylon (?) screen, and attached with some 30 AWG wire.  Years ago, when computers used CRT-based monitor, some of the ones we used at work had a fine screen mesh in front of the picture tube.  It was supposed to increase contrast, and also provide privacy (picture was not visible from the sides - only straight on).  It was an aftermarket item.  When they were replacing those monitors I grabbed couple of those mesh screens. Seemed like perfect stuff to use in my hobbies.  While I have not used it on any model, the stuff works great as a filter.  Once I'm done painting and shoot lacquer thinner through the airbrush, I can see tiny bit of fuzz stuck to the filter, so I know it worked.

But the mesh is so fine that it blocks the metallic particles in some of the metallic paints.  So for those paints I have to remove the filter.

This is kinda close to what Micro-Mark used to sell.  IIRC theirs had a brass mesh filter at the bottom of the tube. 

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

Use a clean container and strain your paint through a good 190 micron paint filter and you won't need another filter in the container.

That's a good point and that's what I do with automotive paint.  There's no filter in my spray guns.  I had a problem with some old Model Master paint and didn't have a good filter on hand.  I'll look for the 190 micron.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Use a clean container and strain your paint through a good 190 micron paint filter and you won't need another filter in the container.

Totally agree. You don’t need to get your fingers painted removing and replacing the filter on the end. Gerson and DeVilbis manufacture good ones. 

64DA7C33-9832-4392-9D83-2842B52AB40D.jpeg

8 hours ago, Rick L said:

You don’t need to get your fingers painted removing and replacing the filter on the end. Gerson and DeVilbis manufacture good ones.

I would never dream of getting my fingers painted with my siphon-tube-mounted filter.  As you can see in the photo, it is totally paint free.  Remember, the airbrush has to be cleaned (by running lacquer thinner through it) after each  painting session. That gets everything cleaned (including the mesh filter).  So when I do handle the mesh filter, it is paint-free.  I also seldom take it off the tube. If I see some fizz accumulated on it, I just take some masking tape and using the adhesive side I pull the fuzz off the mesh.

While still useful, to me the paint strainer seems more messy, and it is not designed for the minuscule amounts of paint we use for our models. Plus some (rather pricey) paint gets wasted.