Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevelle SS396 Day 2 Street/Strip.

Dragonhawk1066

Well I think I'm about the last one to build one of these, at least it seems that way, lol. Going for a Day 2 Street/Strip look and feel with this one. I will be painting it Tamiya TS-11 Maroon with the white body stripe. I will be using a set of M/T Drag Radials and a Holley Carb from Fireball Modelworks, a machined aluminum air cleaner from Off The Sprue, and a set of Radir style 5-spoke wheels from the good ole parts box to help pull off the look. I am having a surprisingly hard time trying to find a set of headers for it, though. I may have to rob them from the AMT Pro Street '67 Chevelle as I don't seem to really have anything of the sort in said parts box.

a.JPG

c.JPG

DSCN6589.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
Forgot to add pics, lol!

Craig, get the headers from the Revell '69 Camaro with the BB. They'll fit like they were made for it. Also, before you paint, check the fit of the grille and bumper. The headlight bezels also need to be shaved off back to the mold lines at the top to get them flush.

Edited by Plowboy

10 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Craig, get the headers from the Revell '69 Camaro with the BB. They'll fit like they were made for it. Also, before you paint, check the fit of the grille and bumper. The headlight bezels also need to be shaved off back to the mold lines at the top to get them flush.

Thanks for the heads up on the front end parts! Unfortunately I don't have the big block Camaro kit, but my test fit on the '67 Chevelle headers showed a pretty decent fit. I did file away on the frame where there might be an issue, but I'm pretty confident of the fit. I plan on cutting off the Supertrapp mufflers and adding my own 3" exhaust made from styrene tubing if I can get the bending done good enough.

I managed to get the rest of the parts primed today. I used the rest of my Brite Touch gray primer, and then switched to my Rustoleum white primer and used up the rest of that can too, lol. I hope to get the color on the body tomorrow and maybe paint some of the other parts too. 

DSCN6591.JPG

DSCN6592.JPG

DSCN6593.JPG

I got the body painted yesterday as well as the chassis and interior parts. I'll decide in a couple of days if I want to wet-sand the body before clear or just go right to the clear. I hope to get the wheels airbrushed with Molotow Chrome, and the engine and rest of the parts painted tomorrow. Then I'll start detail painting and mixing blacks and clears for shading the interior and suspension parts.

DSCN6595.JPG

DSCN6597.JPG

DSCN6598.JPG

DSCN6599.JPG

21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking good Craig.  Do you like the Stynylrezmprimer and what paint is the topcoat....If I may ask.

Thanks Mike! I love the Stynylrez primer. It goes on very well, is wet-sandable after a few days and I can use it in the house, lol. I will say that after some time they have a tendency to clump a bit on me, but when that happens I just use a strainer. During the summer though, I try to use aerosols like Rustoleum and Brite Touch because I can spray them in the shed. I sprayed the Chevelle with Tamiya TS-11  Maroon. I may or may not wet-sand the paint, then I'll put on a couple of coats of Tamiya TS-13 Clear, apply the foil and decals, and then some more TS-13 Clear. I primed the body with Brite Touch primer at the end of summer last year, but you can use just about any paint over the Stynylrez primer.

I tried my hand at spraying Molotow Chrome through my airbrush this morning and came away extremely impressed! I sprayed a test wheel first to get a feel for it and then the wheels for the Chevelle. The test wheel was bare plastic, possibly resin, and the Chevelle wheels were in gray primer. I used a generic dual-action at around 20 psi. I dropped 15 drops from the refill bottle right into the airbrush cup and did all 5 wheels, although I probably could've/should've used a little more and gone a bit heavier. I'll use the test wheel to check the drying progress before I dare touch the Chevelle's wheels, lol.

DSCN6605.JPG

DSCN6600.JPG

DSCN6601.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

9 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I'm in! Nice finish on the wheels. I need to learn about spraying Molotow.

Thanks! It's pretty easy actually. Straight into the airbrush, no thinning. You don't need a lot of it either. Cleans up with any acrylic airbrush cleaner, I used Vallejo. 91% rubbing alcohol works too.

12 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Those wheels look great!

10 hours ago, slusher said:

wheels and project looks great!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with them. Now the biggest challenge is to keep them out of harm's way for about a week, lol. I'll handle them with gloves on, too, and thankfully they fit nicely inside the tires, so no pushing down hard to get them in.

Wow Craig, great job on the wheels. I've never tried spraying the Molotow but will have a need to in the future on my replica '66 SS Chevelle build. I have to remove the gawd-aweful bumper guards on the bumpers so will probably strip all the chrome off and repaint with the Molotow.  I am wondering tho for any of the other Molotow users, will the chrome shine last a long time or dull out??

I started using the Stynylrez also and like it as well.  Thanks for replying.

Looks great. This is the first kit I tried after being away from the hobby for 20 years. I made a total mess out of it. I didn't finish it, gave up after dropping one of the door handles into the interior. I may go back and try to salvage it later, but right now I moved on to a AMT Nova Pro Stocker kit, which I hope turns out better. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Looks great. This is the first kit I tried after being away from the hobby for 20 years. I made a total mess out of it. I didn't finish it, gave up after dropping one of the door handles into the interior. I may go back and try to salvage it later, but right now I moved on to a AMT Nova Pro Stocker kit, which I hope turns out better. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Those little parts like that can be real tricky pains in the butt. I have that AMT Nova Pro-Stocker kit too, but it's not currently on this year's build list for me. I have heard the front fender placement can give one fits though. hopefully you can get back to the Chevelle and get it finished, it seems like a really nice kit so far.