Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

8 hours ago, David G. said:

It must have been a fantastic feeling to share your model with the owners of the actual subject of the build. Few of us will ever have such an opportunity.

David G.

Yes David it was very special day not only was the current owner there but two of the previous drivers were as well and the event was in honor of one of the original owners partners in the car Gordon Jenner.  A lot of memories came up that day.  Bryan, the current owner of the car, an myself have had many conversations over the duration of the build and he has seen and extraordinary number of photos of bits and pieces as they product along the way, But this was the first time he had seen and held the car since it was an unpainted bare chassis with most of the brackets not yet attached.  From my point of view that although I had unlimited access to the car throughout the entire build I had not heard it run in the last three decades.  I had always been aware of the car, but it was a dragster and we ran funnycars so it was at best a passing glance back then.  To be there with the crew and involved with the car and then to be mere feet from it while it was running was more than just the icing on the cake, it made the entire process so much more worthwhile.  However once the fun and games were over we sat down and addressed some areas of the model that both of us wanted to change.  That has been my focus and mid next week the car goes back to Bryan for good.   As a side note the presence of the model at the event has sparked some interest in recreation a much more well know car from Alberta and I'm going back to Edmonton on Friday to see if we can come to an agreement.  It would be an honor to replicate this car, fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Here are some of the detail shots I promised, I'll put up the rest in completed Drag Race a little later when I can get it outside and properly cleaned

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0010 - Copy.JPG

The markings look fantastic, Ian! A fitting completion to an excellent project. Well done, sir!

You're to be commended Ian for making the changes you did to the build.  It does look more representative of the real car now that you've made the changes.  Hadn't noticed some things on the first pass...........very well done sir!  cheers, tim

Thank you very much Barry for the kind words.   No I haven't talked to Don or sent him any pictures directly.   I have been in contact with Stacy on a few occasions and have sent him updates occasionally up to just recently.  I know he showed the early pictures to Don but I don't know about the new up dates.   I am going to deliver the model to Bryan in the next few days and it's up to him as to who sees it from there.  Quite a few people saw it in St Albert at Hodgson's deal for the new Bubble Up car now being driven by his son.  Most of the old guard was there for Gordon Jenner's tribute and most of them got a look at it, even though is was still not completely finished

Edited by Ian McLaren
  • Like 1

You can be proud Ian, this is gorgeous !!!

They say that when a model is photographed and you can't tell at first glance that it is a scale reproduction, you have achieved a high level of realism and this is the case here, your commitment to this project is paying off and you can be really proud of it my friend! 👌

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

You can be proud Ian, this is gorgeous !!!

They say that when a model is photographed and you can't tell at first glance that it is a scale reproduction, you have achieved a high level of realism and this is the case here, your commitment to this project is paying off and you can be really proud of it my friend! 👌

Thank you so much Francis for the kind words, coming from someone  with your credentials it really means a lot to me!  I can hardly wait to see what your next project will be, but whatever it is  I will be watching you work your magic.  For myself my next build will not be quite as ambitious as the Royal Canadian.  Too many replicas in a row, and now I'm going to get me some happy with a freelance design. # WIP Drag Racing Models

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Hi Ian,

Well done!!! You have definitely captured the essence of the real car in all its glory. Replicas done correctly as this one is requires tremendous attention to detail. One of the best replicas I have ever seen.

Thank you for the kind words Ron, It was a lot of work but I'm happy with the final result. I glad you liked it.