Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

On 3/2/2022 at 4:17 AM, Lee Yoder said:

We need a front view to see the butterfly’s open!

Later,

Lee

Sorry Lee in this case the butterflies don't  move, this wasn't designed to move either but it just turned out that way. I'm too far along on this project to incorporate moving butterflies this time, but the way this hat was assembled it may possibly to allow that with some minor clearance changes.   Perhaps on the next one.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 4:24 PM, Codi said:

Hi Ian, just checked on your progress, and like Francis its very cool to see it come together now.  Appreciate your insights & tips you've shared along the way.  cheers, tim

Thank you Tim, it is nice to be able to start assembling the parts and see something resembling a completed model starting to emerge. However it is I that should be thanking you for the insights and tips that you have been sharing during your fantastic project.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Ian, this thing looks just right! It absolutely catches the essence of the car. Excellent work, sir!

Thank you Daniel  I've  spent a lot of time going over photos of the  car as well as many trips to check details on the car itself (it lives about 15 minutes from my house and I can access it pretty much anytime I need to) I think the replacing of the axle is the final change I have to make.  Now it's on to assembly and final painting.

Redid the filters for the Royal Canadian, Fram HP1s, Custom mixed Createx Wicked Colors 0303 Pearl Red and 0306 Pearl Orange and now they look correct. I have also duplicated the correct Fram HP1 labels but will print them with the rest of the graphics.   Fram HP1s in period were not Fram Orange like the production filters.  The filter shown is the original Candy Tangerine (I'll call it that but don't actually know the correct name or paint code)  But what ever it is I'm pretty close as the photo shows.

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

Edited by Ian McLaren
Additional information added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW Ian !!!  This is great art my friend, I don't see any hammer marks or stress on the aluminum.

Did you use standard epoxy or special glue to join the different parts together?

By the way, the oil filter color is a perfect match, not many people would have taken the time to do this! 👌

Thank you Francis   The oil filters are mounted upside down right in front of the engine in this car and in full view, they had to be correct.  As for the cowl I just used Mercury Adhesives medium Cyanoacrylate, but I rough up the mating surfaces with 180 grit to give it extra tooth for mechanical adhesion.  If I would have had access to structural body adhesive I would have used that.  It's just too expensive when you can no longer and borrow some from one of the techs in the back shop.  No hammering at all on this, just spooned all of the curved transitions.  Actually I'll take that back, the bead on the leading edge was formed with a tiny hammer.

45 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Nice work on the cowl! It looks somewhat familiar. 🙂

Yes I just added the windscreen to it and now have to square up the front top edge as per the original.  I may have to redo it as I don't think I have enough rake on the front face.  Squareing the upper edge is going to help but it may not be enough.

Edited by Ian McLaren

47 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

Yes I just added the windscreen to it and now have to square up the front top edge as per the original.  I may have to redo it as I don't think I have enough rake on the front face.  Squareing the upper edge is going to help but it may not be enough.

I redid mine two or three times, because I didn't like the way those lines looked. Finally got it, but they're tricky! You'll get it!

On 3/7/2022 at 1:52 PM, Codi said:

Great pic Ian.......like how you showed it next to your build.  Kudos!  tim

Thanks Tim. Having access to all these photos of the real car is a double edge sword. It's awesome for research but it also dictates a level of fidelity that can be challenging. I'm  not complaining, just saying.

3 hours ago, Butter 1 said:

Hi Ian

Wow! Your attention to detail and scale is second to none! Building a replica with the precision you display is no small task. Your metal work is perfect. I will be following this one to completion.

Ron thank you for the kind words, I was genuinely impressed with your FD100 project,and will also be following your progress.