Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROYAL CANADIAN 1/16 SCALE TOP FUEL DRAGSTER

7 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Just a test piece to see how I'm going to build the cowl piece, and a special thanks to Mike Williams for sharing some of his metal working processes with me, immeasurable help! 

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

Nice! I used this to form the cowl for my junior fueler. I built the body using an article in two 1968(?) issues of Hot Rod, in which Tom Hanna describes and illustrates how he built a "shorty" dragster body. Nice work, Ian!

IMG_0979 new panels exp cowl-form.jpg

DSC_0075cr.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ian, that looks delicious!  Excellent!

Also, the aluminum sheet looks almost precious...meaning precious metal...like platinum.  Beautiful material, the sheet I get is not as nice as what you have there.  Ha, now it's really tough to get paint on there!

Wonderful looking car.  You have it now, that's for sure.

Mike..

Edited by Mike Williams

23 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

All body templates now fit including belly pan, quick mockup to check clearances.  Happy with the progress.  Refining refinishing and starting to assemble next on the agenda. 

IMG_9030.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

Ian, that looks excellent! How did you form the step, where the cowl overlaps? I found that to be a bit tricky. I ended up cutting  a brass strip to shape, that I could form over. That's not ideal, but, it got the job done.

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

Ian, that looks excellent! How did you form the step, where the cowl overlaps? I found that to be a bit tricky. I ended up cutting  a brass strip to shape, that I could form over. That's not ideal, but, it got the job done.

Good afternoon Daniel I have been thinking about the side panels and dreading it for a few months.  I have tried in vain to really successfully  duplicate the offset seen on a lot of cars and nothing I had tried worked particularly well.  Three weeks ago I had a thought  as seen in the original cardboard templates pictured. The panels on the car are .008 K&S tin plated steel each side made in two pieces, an inner including the step and a outer with the step cut out, Glue the two pieces together with extra thin  CA on all edges and you have a scale .008" step.  Then trim the outer edges of the laminated panel to the final shape and your done.   The reason for steel rather that aluminum is that I have purchased 1/8 x 1/16 x 1/16 rare earth magnets that scale out very close to standard Dzus plates to make the panels removable without the need for tools.  Other wise using Aluminum I would have used plastic for the plates and self tapping 1.0 mm screws to secure the panels as I did on the 1/16th Banzai A/FC I just finished.

IMG_9032[1].JPG

IMG_9033[1].JPG

10 minutes ago, Ian McLaren said:

Good afternoon Daniel I have been thinking about the side panels and dreading it for a few months.  I have tried in vain to really successfully  duplicate the offset seen on a lot of cars and nothing I had tried worked particularly well.  Three weeks ago I had a thought  as seen in the original cardboard templates pictured. The panels on the car are .008 K&S tin plated steel each side made in two pieces, an inner including the step and a outer with the step cut out, Glue the two pieces together with extra thin  CA on all edges and you have a scale .008" step.  Then trim the outer edges of the laminated panel to the final shape and your done.   The reason for steel rather that aluminum is that I have purchased 1/8 x 1/16 x 1/16 rare earth magnets that scale out very close to standard Dzus plates to make the panels removable without the need for tools.  Other wise using Aluminum I would have used plastic for the plates and self tapping 1.0 mm screws to secure the panels as I did on the 1/16th Banzai A/FC I just finished.

IMG_9032[1].JPG

IMG_9033[1].JPG

That makes perfect sense. It's coming along, beautifully! The magnets are a great idea, as well.

Edited by Straightliner59

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've  spent the last few days working on the cowl panel master correcting size and shape, and have now started forming what I hope will be the last body panel I have to build, it's looking promising but too soon for pictures. I did however need a break from the repetition of fill sand measure, fill sand measure,  and repeat.  Had to break the cycle with a throw together collection of left over kit parts and bits.  This will be a curbside model focusing on body shape and visible details only.  Not a version of any known car that I'm aware of, and not much more than taped together at this point (even the motor is only a 1/18th Christmas tree ornament at this point)

IMG_9047.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

Happy new year Ian!

Sometimes I think it's good to put the current project on hold and work on something else to get motivated again!  I know that many guys are able to build more than one project at a time but I guess it takes a lot of focus to not get lost...   Your project is going well and your good work will be rewarded, your body panels will probably be of great quality and I can't wait to see them.

8 hours ago, Lee Yoder said:

Coming along nicely Ian. I read the article on this machine at the cacklefest website.

Later,

Lee

Yes I have all of those photos plus about 400 from Dons shop during the restoration, back in the day and it's life as a cackle car and as displayed currently about fifteen minutes from my home.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a milestone!  The body panels are mounted and fit , no tape holding it together, every panel is held on by magnets except the cowl (aluminum).  Next step is to clean all of the panels and get the primers on, all self etching due to the three different metals in the model.

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mr68gts said:

Beautiful work Ian! Since I bailed out of "Dedicated to 1/16" I havent been able to see progress on this! Guess I'll have to come here then eh? :)

Glad your here Paul, I'll have anothere update tomorrow, l've progressed on the chassis now as well