Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mostly Sports Cars

Got my start as a youngster following visits to the dentist...Mom would take me to a nearby drugstore for one of those Revell kits that you had to burn/melt the wheel hub a bit to keep the wheels on. Kept at it through my teens and left behind American cars for a cabin cruiser, Mississippi steamboat, nuclear sub, Mobile gas tanker, Long Tom (?) cannon...and a squirrel (with flocking!). Eventually I developed an interest in foreign sports cars and when I could no longer afford the real thing, I started collecting models of mostly older Porsches.  I finally switched to cars I've always wanted to own 1:1, so that today 30 or so are waiting for me. I'm switching to acrylics (to save my marriage) and am trying to figure out if I can airbrush in the house with an exhausted booth and no fumes. Wish me luck.

Thanks to everyone for the welcoming; I've never really joined much in life, but this feels really nice.

Thanks also for the indoor spraying comments...I will be rounding up the goods soon and start practicing some spoonwork.

Ted

I have to admit this 'cause I can't stop snickering about it, but as I was reading your opening post, I thought you were describing your career path after your teens (when a lot of us did indeed give up modeling for other callings), until I came to the squirrel. That brought that train of thought to a screeching halt! For just a minute, I thought you had one VERY interesting life. Welcome to the nut house...

Actually Rusty, you were on the right trail. My interest in sports cars started with my pre-first (and only ex) wife. I say "pre" because we bought (in '68) a '63 Porsche 356B cabriolet in lieu of an engagement ring for her. It cost around $3500 and she got her dad to cosign a loan and we borrowed the rest from the seller. Fifty-three years later, she still has it (probably worth around $60 k) but I don't know what shape it's in. For my second (and current) wife I somehow managed a '64 356C coupe which she had no interest in, nor any car for that matter. This car soon turned into a down-payment on the house we still live in. Yes, I have had one very interesting life and the best is yet to come 'cause years ago I landed two Fujimi 356s, a cabriolet and a coupe!

Ted