Model Cars Magazine Forum

McBurnie Coachcraft 'Ferrari' Daytona Replica - 'Miami Vice Style'...

crowe-t

Here is a car I started in 2013.  I put it aside for a while to work on other projects and then took it out and painted it last year.  It's finally done.  This is built using a Monogram Miami Vice Daytona and a Monogram '78 Corvette.  The Daytona kit uses the Covette's Chassis and engine but the body represents a real Ferrari 3654(Daytona) so it's not accurate to the McBurnie replica used on Miami Vice.  I attached some progress pictures at the end to show some of what I did on this.  Below is my build thread that describes in more detail the modifications and a bit about the differences between a Ferrari 365(Daytona) and the McBurnie Daytona replica's body. 

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/78841-mcburnie-coachcraft-ferrari-daytona-replica-miami-vice-style/

IMG_2008 Small.jpg

IMG_2010 Aotocolor Small.jpg

IMG_2013 Aotocolor Small.jpg

IMG_2014 Autocolor Small.jpg

IMG_2015 Autocolor Small.jpg

IMG_2025 Autocolor Small.jpg

IMG_2021 Small.jpg

IMG_2031 Small.jpg

IMG_2038 Small.jpg

IMG_2007 Small.jpg

IMG_2000 Small.jpg

IMG_2001 Small.jpg

IMG_2004 Small.jpg

IMG_2850 Small.jpg

IMG_2853 Small.jpg

IMG_2854 Small.jpg

IMG_2900 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks guys for the compliments.  I love the look of the McBurnie Daytona and feel it was the better car for Crockett on Miami Vice.  I really enjoyed building this one and learning more about the car. 

Edited by crowe-t

Excellent work! A model like this (for the builder) is a tough one because you know how much work you had to put in to make it an accurate replica but to the casual observer it looks like it’s basically box stock. Definitely a labor of love project. I find it ironic that your replica is of a full scale aftermarket facsimile of a Ferrari and Monogram actually made it too accurate to an actual Ferrari! 🤣

I had not seen your WIP thread yet but followed your link above and went through the whole thing. Not only is your correction work really well done but I also learned a ton about the McBurnie Daytona’s so thank you for the great information!

I was 4 years old in 1984 when Miami Vice first aired. My mom was a huge fan of it and I always tried to watch it with her through the years. She was worried it wasn’t kid-appropriate but I didn’t care about the story lines, I just loved the cars and the music! I had the Music Soundtrack with all those cool Jan Hammer instrumentals and played it all the time. I agree with you that the Daytona was better suited to the Sonny Crocket character but as a kid I just loved the Testarossa that replaced it.

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 1