Model Cars Magazine Forum

I’m confused. (Amt Nova)

What engine is this 1B supposed to be? There is no starter, oil filter or distributor for it. The valve covers (#156&7) have three bolts on one side only. For the 1A SBC engine, there is also a single 4 barrel manifold that is not mentioned in the instructions, and what I imagine are supposed to be stock valve covers and air cleaner (also not mentioned) on the bottom chrome tree in the pic.

1EE5A050-2DC3-4F21-9E75-F0B541CB5EB3.jpeg

42F30448-5C34-4A80-AC1C-ACFE7729ADE3.jpeg

898E36D7-98B2-4A05-B891-A1922F1AE622.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

They appear to be Ford FE-style cylinder heads, where the intake manifold make up the inner third of the cylinder head, so to speak.

Is the Pro Street style chassis pan really included in this kit, as shown in the instructions?

Edited by Casey

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

They appear to be Ford FE-style cylinder heads, where the intake manifold make up the inner third of the cylinder head, so to speak.

Is the Pro Street style chassis pan really included in this kit, as shown in the instructions?

No.

9A6E2F54-9F50-4DFA-9CD6-AFFBD5EC9EC7.jpeg

FEA0E077-FB54-4576-9C9A-F867AE337A2C.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

Those Resto Rods optional engines were just something cobbed together by RC2 (NOT Round 2).  They don't represent any real 1:1 engine, though some of the parts are copied from other engines and actually look pretty decent.

Some other parts in that series, particularly the bucket seats and wheels, are actually very well done.  The seats have upholstery patterns that actually match the stock rear seats, something that almost never happened with vintage customizing kits.

Well theres NO WAY that engine is going in the Nova! That would be sacrilegious! 😈 It seems like they threw all their leftovers and floor sweepings in this box? It also has this partial engine. Since the instructions don’t really match what is in the box….I guess I’ll be muddling my way through it.🤪

AEED995D-133B-4133-89F9-7B931A443908.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Huh. By strange coincidence, I'm working on a '69 Galaxie that has no engine. I wonder if this "mystery engine" would be close enough to fill in? 

By strange coincidence Snake, maybe? 🤨

I did use valve covers and air cleaner from the parts box and added a distributor though. But it did drop right in.

IMG 2811

IMG 2812

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

By strange coincidence Snake, maybe? 🤨

I did use valve covers and air cleaner from the parts box and added a distributor though. But it did drop right in.

IMG 2811

IMG 2812

Fabulous! I might even have some of the stock '69 engine parts--it looks like at some point I pilfered the block and SOHC goodies for some other project, but I think I still have the stock carb, air cleaner, valve covers, and intake and exhaust manifolds. It'll be fun to see how well they fit! I have at least one of these Resto Rod kits in the Snakepit. I even have a can of Ford Engine Blue-ish Krylon! B)

I KNEW there was some reason I liked you! B)

Did you buy that kit sealed?  The sticker on the top panel of the box might indicate that it was bought second-hand, you may have bought a combination of parts from two or more kits. 

I bought an incomplete copy of that same kit a few years ago (original buyer bought it to use the body for a slot car).  I wanted the Resto Rods wheels and interior bits, and also got a spare chassis and other leftover parts.  As I remember it, the kit could be built stock, and had two complete engines (stock/tunnel ram, and that Resto Rods generic engine) as well as that long block/engine stand setup.

25 minutes ago, Mark said:

Did you buy that kit sealed?  The sticker on the top panel of the box might indicate that it was bought second-hand, you may have bought a combination of parts from two or more kits. 

I bought it at a flea market, unsealed. All the parts inside were bagged though, and all the parts are the same shade of grey.

I checked the box of parts that I bought (complete kit minus body, glass, and bumpers which were used on a slot car).  Mine is molded in white.  

The instructions incorrectly show the pro street chassis; the stock one is included.

All parts for the stock version, including tires, are included.  The stock version assembly procedure is not shown in the instructions.

In short, it should be the complete original two-version (stock or mild street machine) kit, plus the Resto Rod parts.

The bench seat and open wheels will not be in the Resto Rods kit, as those were tooled later by Round 2 for the Bill Jenkins issue.

I completely forgot that I had also bought a (molded in blue) Round 2 pro street Nova from the same guy.  Again, no body, as this guy was a slot car drag racer and bought these kits for the bodies.  I got a couple of other kits including a Revell '68 Hemi Dart.  Parts gold mines!

The original plan (when I get to it) will be to stick the Resto Rods pro touring style interior into a Pro Street Nova.  I always disliked the interior setup in that kit.  Get rid of those Cragar "plastic center cap" pro street wheels (the 1:1 wheels do have plated ABS plastic center caps, hinged for lug nut access!) and change the engine setup to fit under the hood.  Instant up to date pro touring version.

3 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

I am a Mopar guy and any chance to have a hehe time at the expense of Ford or Chebby guys is too much of a chance to waste. It turns the table somewhat - by putting a Ford into a Chebby. I like it LOL, more LOL and ROTFLOL

I understand completely! We Ford and Chebby guys have it easy. You know, being a Mopar Guy….that the “hehe times” are very few and far between.👍😁

Edited by NOBLNG