Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ugliest Corvette revisited

On 10/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, 1972coronet said:

At least it's one of the Malaise models (1974 - 1982) . 

Curious why you'd go there.  Does a 'Vette have to have chrome bumpers to make it worth your while?  I like all C3s but I happen to prefer the integrated front and rear treatments of the '80-'82 models, such as the one I had for 20 years.  

mcm32.jpg.8e22d5275fe6cac373bff9acee0ffd88.jpg

Lackluster performance?  Thank the EPA et al for killing that off.  OTOH, it's a small block Chevy, easiest engine on the planet to modify.

I wish most cars could be kept out of the hands of the J.C. Whitney fans.  

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Rolls Royce in the driveway.  For the sake of all that's holy, somebody rescue that thing from this clown.

Ya know, just for giggles, here is the description of the 'Vette...... Enjoy

I was inspired back in the day by an artist known as Les Dunham who had fabricated his own series of Corvette to stand out. With the inspiration of his style, I created my own and this is the result.

The Caballista has a stock chassis, motor, interior, and much more. Almost everything on this car has been left stock except for the body which I fabricated out of fiberglass. It has 33,000 miles on it, most of which were highway/expressway driven. Everything works splendidly and as it should. Due to its age, I had a certified Chevrolet mechanic replace a handful of parts with OEM/Genuine parts such as the following: (upgraded) 9 leaf spring, all universal joints, brand new brake calipers with pads and rotors, wheel bearings, alternator, battery, and other small odds and ends. The mechanic also took the liberty of replacing the clutch pack and bearings inside of the rear differential (this year of Corvette had a lot of power which ate through those plates with age.) All four tires are new Goodyear's with the original aluminum wheels.

5 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

I think this one will put this post to rest. So bad I cannot find a photo of it before it was neglected!!   

This is a 1964 Corvette originally done by George Barris. 

C2 Corvette

3-e1534381089487.png

You win, that is THEE ugliest Corvette! So bad, it's worse than hideous. 

It's neglected because it's useless. You can't drive it, it has no windows. Probably doesn't even have an engine. 

Basically just a humongous paper weight!

1 minute ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You win, that is THEE ugliest Corvette! So bad, it's worse than hideous. 

It's neglected because it's useless. You can't drive it, it has no windows. Probably doesn't even have an engine. 

Basically just a humongous paper weight!

YAY!!! I am the winner!!! Where is my chicken dinner? LOL!!!

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Lackluster performance?  Thank the EPA et al for killing that off.  OTOH, it's a small block Chevy, easiest engine on the planet to modify.

I wish most cars could be kept out of the hands of the J.C. Whitney fans.  

That's it precisely ; on both counts . It's not the auto markers' fault regarding emissions standards ( in this instance , the L82 was a capable performer , smog junk not-withstanding ) . I just happen to prefer the 1968-1973 Corvettes over the 1974-1982 models -- metal bumpers having nothing to do with that . Now , the F-bodies' rubber facies are another story : Yuck .

31 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

I think this one will put this post to rest. So bad I cannot find a photo of it before it was neglected!!   

This is a 1964 Corvette originally done by George Barris. 

C2 Corvette

3-e1534381089487.png

It should be driven by a comic book superhero called Squidman. 

I built a '61 Corvette for a customer & bought some parts off a guy that had a '65 Vette body on a 4wd truck frame & used to take it out to the local mud bogs. He said the body was too rough to restore or even cut up for parts. If you've ever been to a Corvette swap meet, you'll see the Corvette guys don't throw any piece of fiberglass away, regardless of how small it may be.

Probably the best use of a malaise era Vette I've seen so far...This is/was in a Quaker Steak & Lube in St. Pete, FL.

P1010598.JPG