Model Cars Magazine Forum

I may be done with cars: I WANT THIS !!!

Ace-Garageguy

Always amazed how far technology is taking us.  Who would have thought billionaires would be going into orbit, if you remember watching the moon landings.  The thing I noticed, the pilot didn't get much altitude, I suppose there is a ceiling for such a vehicle.  Thanks for posting.

Neat toy, But with the advancement in drones today. I'm surprised its taken this long for something like this to materialize.

There is a small part of me thats fascinated by small manned / powered  flight. I for one  would love to take something like this up for a day . Just to see the earth we live in a whole different perspective.

Myself, I wouldnt mind having one. But at $100k plus assy. Thanks but no thanks

I already have an expensive toy in the garage

Edited by gtx6970

1 hour ago, gtx6970 said:

Neat toy, But with the advancement in drones today. I'm surprised its taken this long for something like this to materialize...

The control system is apparently directly descended from small drone tech, as evidenced by video shot during development of the flying prototype, which uses what looks to be an RC drone joystick module for control inputs.

I imagine the hardest part was either finding or developing the motors and props that had the requisite performance for such a relatively heavy vehicle.

The rest of it is straightforward aircraft-quality fabrication.

All of which implies that, with a little reverse-engineering, there's really nothing now stopping a skilled tinkerer from building a one-off for a small fraction of the cost of this one.

Hmmmmm...    B)

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Can you imagine one of these single seat drones crashing through your roof and landing in your living room, and a confused pilot stepping out and saying 'Sorry about that!' like Hagred when his knock flattened a heavy door in a Harry Potter movie. LOL

Nah... that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH never happens.... 😋

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/cant-believe-this-happened-to-steve-ups-driver-killed-in-santee-plane-crash-was-months-shy-from-retirement/2741995/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_San_Diego_F/A-18_crash

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/blog/2017/december/san-diego-plane-crash-demolishes-home-leaves-two/

Hell Indiana Jones crashed twice...

28 minutes ago, Keavdog said:

Could this be classified ( or built/limited to ) ultralight?  No license required.

Part of the FAA definition of an "ultralight" is a 250 pound maximum empty weight.

The Jetson website states an empty weight of 190 pounds, so from that perspective the answer is...maybe.

Top speed of an ultralight is limited to 55 knots. The Jetson will do just below 55 (software limited).

HOWEVER...an ultralight can NOT be operated over towns and cities, generally, and operation in controlled airspace requires specific prior permission.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I SUGGEST THAT ANYTHING REMOTELY DANGEROUS BE OUTLAWED IMMEDIATELY, FOREVER.

THE PERCEIVED SAFETY OF THE MANY, EVEN IF THE PERCEPTION IS COMPLETELY 

ERRONEOUS,  IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY PERSONAL LIBERTY.

AND LOGICALLY, BECAUSE LIFE INEVITABLY ENDS IN DEATH, IT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED TOO.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

I live out in the sticks, but we get flights out of MCAS Miramar and Ramona fire attack base overhead all the time so I'm guessing I'm in controlled airspace.  92 grand seems reasonable enough for a super toy and I perhaps it's a 'you assemble' due to some of the same restrictions as kit cars.  This article says it's classified as an ultralight in the US and has a 20 minute run time.

https://www.flyingmag.com/jetson-one/

14 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Recently I saw the Wallis Makes Bond Autogyro 'Little Nellie' at the Shuttleworth Collection, who have all his others in storage. How Wallis got around some of the regulations here in the UK was by registering each and flying them as a prototype.

its available as a kit too, in the bond markings as little nellie. I want to say its an airfix kit but i'm really not sure. they pop up on ebay quite often