Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Shelby Mustang Group II

Mockup with full glass - everything seems to fit properly.

Now for more work on the body including:

• correcting trim at the vent window to close the gap at the bottom of the glass
  • re-radius wheel openings for more tire clearance.

2v2am2A6SxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

This is also a power steering component. It is the pitman arm mounted control valve that is connected to the ram (that you removed) with the left- and right-turn hoses. A manual steering center link will be connected directly to the pitman arm here.

I love all  these race cars you build. They are among my favorite 1:1s and you certainly do them justice with your builds.

image.png.9bd6637f8a582f78ee94f900ee900695.png

Center link for manual steering:

image.png.38b214696bbf27a0e5c03bdf2de0d087.png

Center link for power steering with provision for the control valve:

image.png.48b272d0b04b8ba4b47fc6aec3f47be6.png

25 minutes ago, Rodent said:

This is also a power steering component. It is the pitman arm mounted control valve that is connected to the ram (that you removed) with the left- and right-turn hoses. A manual steering center link will be connected directly to the pitman arm here.

Thanks Steve, that detail was bugging me.  I'll see if I can remove that portion.  

• Like 1

As far as I have been able to determine the Skip Scott car was only entered once in the configuration that I am attempting to recreate, 1965 Daytona 24-hr.  It is/was the 1964 Tour de France winner (Registration #DPK7B).  It was originally built by Holman-Moody and shipped to Alan Mann for final preparation for the TdF.  It was returned to the USA after entry in the ’64 Nassau Speed Weeks.

http://www.ponysite.de/procter_dpk7b.htm

6925946913 06fd260a38 o

I have found several nice photos of the outside of the car during Daytona but nothing of the oily bits, no engine bay, or chassis details.  I do know it ran down draft Webers at Daytona, thus the need for the teardrop hood.  It was able to run this induction system because it was entered in the Prototype Class.  This class allows more liberal modifications to the car. I am going to assume then that H-M applied several of their NASCAR mods to the chassis.  I will be making educated guesses about those mods going forward.

Daytona-1965-02-28e

Thanks Daniel.  As far as planning I just follow a sequence that would work (I assume) on a 1:1 project.  And I do a fair amount of research which I enjoy.

Added an axle stiffener.

DSCN7928

Edited by afx
  • Like 1