Model Cars Magazine Forum

How have you guys been dealing with the "new" Bare Metal Foil?

I’ve been a BMF fan since I was introduced to it some 30 years ago. The 57 Ford I did then still looks good!

I believe there has been several changes over the years probably due to supplier changes. Early on I could do just about anything! I was easily covering entire bumpers. I could do no wrong!

Later on it wasn’t as cooperative.. maybe thicker but still workable.

I’ve never encountered it not sticking. My experience has been sticking too well!  As I tried to use it as a paint mask, it wouldn’t come off in one piece. Just made a mess picking off little bits, and leaving a lot of adhesive behind. Same lately on body panels.. coming off but leaving glue behind. 

My experience with sheets that got too old is that the foil will not come off the backing sheet without tearing. 

• 1 month later...

You can't. The foil used to package Pop Tarts is Mylar, a metallized polyester film. Because of its composition, it will not permanently conform to fine details like scripts or body trim like thin aluminum foils. It can't be secured with any adhesives which won't damage those details. It's great stuff if you're modeling heat micrometeoroid shielding on model spacecraft, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

You can't. The foil used to package Pop Tarts is Mylar, a metallized polyester film. Because of its composition, it will not permanently conform to fine details like scripts or body trim like thin aluminum foils. It can't be secured with any adhesives which won't damage those details. It's great stuff if you're modeling heat micrometeoroid shielding on model spacecraft, though.

Ok, thank you!....

9 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Has Tamiya ventured into the BMF space? I'd be surprised if they didn't but I've never heard mention of anything.

No but Hasegawa has , unfortunately most stores are out of stock (no surprise) . There are a few Japan vendors on Ebay that still have it but be prepared for some sticker shock .

Hasegawa TF1 Mirror Finish :

Hasegawa TF1 Mirror Finish

Edited by TooOld

33 minutes ago, TooOld said:

No but Hasegawa has , unfortunately most stores are out of stock (no surprise) . There are a few Japan vendors on Ebay that still have it but be prepared for some sticker shock .

Hasegawa TF1 Mirror Finish :

Hasegawa TF1 Mirror Finish

PlazaJapan.com when they are allowed to ship internationally. I got some but have not tried it out yet

I got some of the Hasegawa foil, and did a small test application. It is actually very thin metalized vinyl (?) film with adhesive back.  It looks just like chrome, and it has some stretch to it. it will to some extent stretch over convex curved surfaces.  But if it is stretched to fit depressions, it will eventually pull back and "relax" to almost to the un-stretched state.  It should work well for chroming simple protruding features, but it is nowhere like the original BMF.  But it sure looks "chromier".  Of course it is also very pricey.

6 hours ago, Sandboarder said:

They normally do for a reasonable price. When they get hit with covid limits etc everything has to go DHL express and that cost 4x as much. 

Fed Ex - yes more but gets here in a matter of days. I hate DHL, so if that’s an option I opt out for US delivery. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Sounds like you're describing a Pop Tarts wrapper backed with contact adhesive.

Thinner and more stretchy than Mylar (or wherever Pop Tart wrap or other metalized  food packages are made of).  It is sort of like scaled down version of 1:1 (vinyl?) car wrapping material.

The very first sheet of 'chrome' adhesive foil I bought was , IIRC , Mr. Foil by Gunze-Sangyo . That was in 1985 -- it lasted for two years, working just as well as the 'first pull'. For whatever reason, I switched to Bare Metal Foil in 1988 (after a year off from building in the aftermath of the 1987 Whittier Earthquake) ; that's when BMF was good .

It would seem as though Gunze discontinued their foil -- I'd like to give it a go if I could find it.

Yes, Tamiya should attempt adhesive foil. I'd image that it would be the best stuff available ! 

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It still doesn't sound like a viable alternative. Cheap bargain brand aluminum foil and Microscale foil adhesive is a better alternative in a pinch.

I didn't state that Hasegawa stuff was a viable alternative, and I don't believe anybody else stated that directly.  IMO, it will work in certain applications, but not in others. I'll try it one my next build which needs chromed areas (but that won't be for quite some time - I'm concentrating on model RR stuff now).

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I'll try it one my next build which needs chromed areas (but that won't be for quite some time - I'm concentrating on model RR stuff now).

While your at it Peter can you please try a sheet of the newest BMF and let us know how you go. With you knowledge of the product I would really like to hear your first hand experience with the latest version. 

19 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

While your at it Peter can you please try a sheet of the newest BMF and let us know how you go. With you knowledge of the product I would really like to hear your first hand experience with the latest version. 

I have nice stash of the original stuff from years ago.  Few months ago I picked up a sheet from my local hobby shop, but it looks and behaves as well as I woudl expect from the original chrome.  I suppose to try getting some of the "bad" foil.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, peteski said:

I got some of the Hasegawa foil, and did a small test application. It is actually very thin metalized vinyl (?) film with adhesive back.  It looks just like chrome, and it has some stretch to it. it will to some extent stretch over convex curved surfaces.  But if it is stretched to fit depressions, it will eventually pull back and "relax" to almost to the un-stretched state.  It should work well for chroming simple protruding features, but it is nowhere like the original BMF.  But it sure looks "chromier".  Of course it is also very pricey.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:43 AM, peteski said:

I didn't state that Hasegawa stuff was a viable alternative, and I don't believe anybody else stated that directly.  IMO, it will work in certain applications, but not in others. I'll try it one my next build which needs chromed areas (but that won't be for quite some time - I'm concentrating on model RR stuff now).

You're right Peter it is some kind of stretchy film and it is very thin .  I bought some a month or so ago but never tried it , since your post I decided to give it a test .  I applied a small piece to the side molding and door handle depression on my MGB-GT to see how well it stayed in place . It seems thinner than the BMF I have , it cuts easier and it applies much easier , but working it into the molding edge and depression takes quite a bit more work .  And yes at first it did want to pop back , but after repeated burnishing with a toothpick it eventually stayed in place . It's been 6 days and in my photo below you can see that it hasn't popped out of the depression yet .  It's definitely not for complex shapes or for emblems but for basic trim and around windows it should work just fine . BTW - I paid the extra $2 for FedEx shipping and it was delivered to me in Florida in 3 days !

Hasegawa TF1 Foil

Must be luck of the draw.  I know the sheet i was working off of wouldn't work good for emblems or window trim.  Like it would go on great, but soon as you're done cutting if you even touch it it'll pull back up from the edges.  You basically couldn't have a flawless trim cause it would be too thin and just come back up especially when putting in glass.   Maybe i just had bad sheets or just order directly from BMF themselves.  Cause who knows how long they where sitting at modelroundup 

Edited by Dpate