Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Monogram ‘69 Pontiac GTO

radiohd10

3 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Simply stunning build and photography. Great color combination and the red carpet is a nice touch. Firewall is the most detailed I've ever seen on one of these and it looks as though you fabricated the round front marker lights since this kit doesn't include one.

Haha ya see, that’s why I like posting here. I send that pic to my brother and he says “cool”, but I post it here and you guys immediately know what went into building it. Spending the time to scratch stuff like marker lights and dash bezels is worth it when people like you dudes pick up on it 🤙🏽🤙🏽 Much appreciated. 

Lovely paint and all around clean beautiful build! I’ve had good experiences with Tamiya lacquer rattle cans as well and have gotten my best results with TS-13 clear if I spray it within an hour over the last color coat. How much cure time did you give between your final aluminum coat and first transparent red coat as well as between the final red coat and the first TS-13 coat?

Also love the “city scape” backgrounds in your photos, makes it look like a 1:1 car!

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

Lovely paint and all around clean beautiful build! I’ve had good experiences with Tamiya lacquer rattle cans as well and have gotten my best results with TS-13 clear if I spray it within an hour over the last color coat. How much cure time did you give between your final aluminum coat and first transparent red coat as well as between the final red coat and the first TS-13 coat?

Also love the “city scape” backgrounds in your photos, makes it look like a 1:1 car!

Thanks! So I’ve been doing a ton of experimenting with rattle cans and think I finally got a technique down - it may be overkill but any time I deviate from this plan things seem to go wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

My biggest issue with the cans was having the paint pull away from the panel lines, exposing the primer. This happened mostly when I’d put down too heavy a color coat or gone too heavy on the clear coat too quickly - I used to clear within an hour too, but this problem kept arising.  To remedy it, I increased dry times and started going lighter on my coats. I also found that letting the primer dry for at least a day before sanding made the paint lay more smoothly.

For this one I did the following: 

1. Light coat gray primer followed by a medium coat for full coverage. Let it dry for 24 hrs. Very light sand with 3000 grit sponge  to smooth out the bod.  Sometimes I do another coat or two but since this build had multiple color/clear coats planned, I didn’t want to go too heavy   

2. Sprayed one light coat and then one medium/light coat of the gloss aluminum 5 minutes apart. My plan was for 3 coats, but the two went down really nicely so I stopped there. I let it dry for 48 hrs. If I did a third coat I probably would have given it another day to dry    

3. I didn’t want to risk sanding the shine out of the aluminum (and it was acceptably smooth) so I decided to just foil the scripts and reflectors and go straight to color. I did 2 very light mist coats of the clear red 5 minutes apart and a 3rd slightly heavier coat after 10 minutes. It was tempting to go even heavier to avoid texture, but I knew the next steps would take care of any peel that the light coats would have caused

4. I let the red dry for 3 days and then removed the paint from the foiled scripts and badges and wet sanded with 4000-8000 micro mesh. At this point it should have been ready for clear, but I went a bit too far with the sanding so I had to hit the whole thing with another 2 very light coats of the red - waited 3 more days then rubbed out the scripts and wet sanded again - this time with a lighter hand 4000-10000 grit

5. Clear - Three light mist coats of ts-13 5 minutes apart. Then a medium coat. Waited 15 minutes. Then a medium/heavy coat. Waited 30 minutes. Then one last heavy coat until nice and glossy

6. Waited three more days then masked and sprayed the vinyl top. Waited two more days then polished out the body with 4000-12000 grit and foiled it. Done!

The single biggest thing I’ve learned is to be patient with my paint. When I look at my older builds the difference is night and day. Now the body is the first thing I do, so I can ignore it while I do the rest of the car.  My engines have gotten more detailed simply to give the body more time to dry 😂 

I should note I’m in nyc so the climate here probably plays a part in the process 

Hope that helps!

Wow that paint just pops! Looks like your procedure sure paid off. I agree with you about BMF nowadays, it’s nowhere near what it was. Like you said, it doesn’t stick like it inch did, and I find it harder to trim now too. But like you said, enough complaining, your GTO looks fantastic!

• Thanks 1

Much thanks Ryan for posting you’re painting process in such detail in response to my questions. Like you, I think increased patience has really improved my painting as well as general model building results. I have found successful scale model builds are about 85% masking and painting and WAITING and 15% everything else! I look forward to trying out your process on a future paint job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KWT said:

Wow... very nicely done! That is one of the best versions I've seen of this fine kit.

49 minutes ago, Keef said:

That paint job is amazing! It’s so shiny! Thanks for posting your details on how you painted it, gonna use that info for a future build 👍🏻

Thanks fellas! 

Another way you can go with this is one of the Tamiya red mica (metallics) over the aluminum, then the clear red over that. That's kind of like the Mazda Soul Red recipe. A coat or two of of TS-13 over the top might help as well. Just another red tricoat recipe.

Nice build!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 3:22 AM, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

On 12/22/2021 at 5:19 AM, Ulbo said:

Clean and crisp built👍

On 12/22/2021 at 7:39 AM, Tom99 said:

Nice work!

On 12/22/2021 at 3:39 PM, ATHU said:

It's a beauty, very nice job!!

On 12/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, bogger44 said:

That paint finish is a thing of beauty.  Thanks for sharing your paint process.  Love all that under hood detail too.  Sweet work!

Thanks dudes…happy hols to you all! Hopefully Santa brings you all some sweet vintage kits 🤙🏽🤙🏽