Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snow!

Smoke Wagon

Had a couple inches of snow overnight, cold out (16F)...still snowing, lightly.  I think the heavy lake effect snow will bypass me.  Though I'm about 10 miles due south of Lake Erie, the heavy lake effect stuff tends to hit areas to the NE of me...

34 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Last week our neighbour called and told us to look outside…there were four of them!

Must’ve been fun to watch. While I see a good amount of deer as well, the only animals that manage to go that close to my house are a few pesky stray cats that seem to try their best to outdo my dog in the bathroom department.

Just now, Smoke Wagon said:

Must’ve been fun to watch. While I see a good amount of deer as well, the only animals that manage to go that close to my house are a few pesky stray cats that seem to try their best to outdo my dog in the bathroom department.

I've got a grainy video from one of my Ring cameras from the other evening...around 11pm had about a dozen deer strolling around my driveway and front yard, harvesting oak nuts from my giant oak tree...

18 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

It was. The wife has a heated waterbowl outside and puts food out every night for the stray cats. She also insulated a plastic doghouse and put straw in it, but I don’t think any cats have taken to it. She also bought a trail cam that I put up on the fence for her and she has seen half a dozen different cats at times(not all ferel)….and a raccoon! The food has to be brought in every morning or there will be a bunch of Magpies cleaning it up. One morning they were lined up on the fence like we were giving out covid tests.😬

Edited by NOBLNG

Forecast snow and "wintry mix" here Saturday PM and Sunday, but I've been watching the NWS radar and pulling up live cams after the storm has passed, at least the part of it that looks like it could possibly slide southeast and dump here, and my current prediction is that we'll see a non-event.

Naturally though, the stores are already low on bread, milk, and bottled water...and if it indeed does drop an inch or so, Monday the ditches will be full of shiny new 4WD SUVs on their roofs as far as the eye can see.

"Chains? CHAINS??? I don't need no stinkin' chains because I have 4-wheel drive and traction control."

...and zero understanding of physics and reality.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

10 hours ago, steveracer said:

...did you put chains on all 4 wheels so at least you can stop?

If I run chains I run 'em on all 4. I learned to drive in icy conditions over 5 decades ago up North, so I don't have any problems.

But usually if it gets icy here I just stay home. The roads are so choked with abandoned vehicles and fools speeding, it's not worth trying to get anywhere. It never lasts more than a few days anyway, and if the power goes, I have backups.

Last time we had a significant frozen precip "event" (as the talking heads like to say these days) a few years back, it started snowing big fat wet flakes during morning rush hour. It had been slightly below freezing overnight, so the snow built up pretty quick, even on the roads. But rush-hour traffic turned the snow on the pavement to slush, and the temperature dropped fast after it stopped falling. All the roads turned to sheets of ice, and folks spinning their wheels just polished it. By noon, when the numbnutz all decided they better get home, nobody could go anywhere, and every hill and interstate was an inline parking lot, with the intersections and ditches littered with wrecks. I waited until late in the day to try the homeward commute, thinking folks would have been off the roads by then, but had to park my 2WD pickup in a dealer's lot and walk home 4 miles, as every road out of town was completely blocked.

I'd really like to see you get up a long hill that's slick ice with a lube layer of water on it from the sun shining, on just "dedicated winter tires" with no chains or studs...and then stop on the downside.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Well, we got a few inches last night. The Tow Truck companies, and the Body Shop owners have all ordered their new power boats for this summer. Supposed to be in the upper 40's Monday and even hit 50 on Tuesday. I'll wait till then to get out the snow shovels. 

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yeah, but if my recent experience is anything to go by, they won't be able to get a lot of the parts to fix the wrecks until summer anyway.   B)

And, with the suppliers we use at work anyway, there’s apparently a paint toner shortage nationwide so even PAINT is hard to come by.

Blue was first to go, then red a couple of weeks back…might have to go back to painting everything black like in ye oldy times

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

But usually if it gets icy here I just stay home. The roads are so choked with abandoned vehicles and fools speeding, it's not worth trying to get anywhere.

With all the people moving up here from California and not knowing how to drive in any weather but sunny, it’s beginning to get that way here too.

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Blue was first to go, then red a couple of weeks back…might have to go back to painting everything black like in ye oldy times

That wouldn’t be an issue at all if we just listened to Henry and kept driving Model Ts like he wanted. 🤣

• Haha 1

Started getting a wintry mix here sometime early this morning.  It is still coming down, we are predicted 2-8 inches.  Current temp is 19 degrees F with a guesstimated high of 30, so this will stay around for a couple of days.  I have heard a couple of snowplows go by, and just a couple minutes ago some idiot in a van came by revving his engine.  He will probably be off in a ditch pretty soon.  When this mess stops, I will be getting out my new-to-me tractor with scoop and see if I can get my driveway cleaned off, maybe a couple of neighbors also.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Well, it seems most everything new is white, black or silver nowadays...so not far from that..

Problem is...so many of those are now 3-stage jobs with multiple toners that they actually amount to hundreds if not thousands of colors when you have to repair them. And most colors have multiple "variants" too, depending on where the car was built.

Even solid colors including "white" (there are at least dozens of whites) and black are almost all basecoat-clearcoat from the automotive OEMs, with many of the whites being 3-stage as well, and lotsa blacks being metallics or pearls.

Point being, there are so many chemicals, toners, and materials necessary to run a body shop today, any disruption in the availability of any of them can shut you down indefinitely...and people not in the industry have no clue as to what it takes to get a really good paint match for an undetectable repair.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Light to moderate snow here for a couple hours so far. Temps falling, now at 33F.

Most of it was melting almost as quick as it fell, but there's an inch or so on the cars.

Earlier high wind gusts have stopped, though I had one large limb go down last night.

No ice load on the trees as yet, but if the temp continues its forecast decline, that will change.

Already some power outages from trees coming down earlier due to wind.

Looking at the weather report for the Eastern states I saw the wind prediction. I have stated in the "irked" section how much I hate wind and I feel bad for all those having to deal with this. It's one thing to have snow and possibly ice but the wind just adds another hazard to the whole situation.

Our big-deal winter storm turned into a non-event. Snow stopped about 4 PM, temp never got below 32F, then went right back to 33, so roads didn't ice and the trees never loaded up.

Radar shows most of the precip has blown through.

Couple inches still in a few places, pretty, but will be mostly gone by noon probably.

Going down to the mid 20s tonight, so there'll be patches of black ice in the AM where water is standing, but it's a holiday so shouldn't pose much of a problem overall.