Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 2021 vintage...

Claude Thibodeau

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thank you Lee!

The base is House of Kolor, topped with Testor's WetLook clear. The "effects" were done with various Gel Pen (2.29$ each at Michael's). I tried to recreate the crazy early 70's CobWebbing effect, but with less trouble than spraying it in the conventionnal manner. Just a fun experiment...

CT 

Nice idea . Thanks for sharing 

Hi Claude. I'm surprised at how many of these projects I failed to see across this past year. You are truly a master of Radical Modern with both the skills and the vision to pull it off. Of course the relatively conservative "Acid Rush" is a delight but it's the simplicity and stance of the Torino that pushes my buttons. All the best in 2022.

Hi Claude. I'm surprised at how many of these projects I failed to see across this past year. You are truly a master of Radical Modern with both the skills and the vision to pull it off. Of course the relatively conservative "Acid Rush" is a delight but it's the simplicity and stance of the Torino that pushes my buttons.

All the best in 2022.
B.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:32 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Claude my friend, you are simply one of the best builders I know!!! 👍

However, with all the imagination I know you have, I wonder how you couldn't have thought of building a Ranchero or an El Camino paired with a limousine.  That way you would have a cargo solution to transport all those wonders to the next show and enough space to bring your many friends with you!

I hope to be part of the trip and that you will save a "small" place for me, my suitcase will be very thin...

Happy New Year my friend, I am sure you will continue to amaze us in 2022!!! 🎉

Hi Francis!

Well, this is a great idea. Let me see...

The actual 72 Ranchero kits (my favorite year) are hard to come by, so, I might build such a "4 door Ranchero" out of two 87 TBird bodies I have in my stash, or even better,  two 92 Mercury Cougar. This way, we would have supercharged V6 power, and 4 wheel independant suspension! I'll take out my caliper, and start checking the mash-up possibilities tomorrow morning. Stay tuned! 

Of course, I know you were suggesting a 1/1 car. I'd like it, but there is a 70 Challenger awaiting completion in my garage, and a friend has a 67 Mustang ProTouring under construction, in which he needs my help. So, we'll have to wait a bit, I'm afraid... But the idea has potential, in the age of the ever-present SUV!

You'll be more than welcome to join on our next show. Alas, I can't see when it's gonna be, with the Covid resurgence. And I'll have to increase my auto insurance coverage if you bring your "small" box along, because I know it is ultra-precious cargo! 

Happy 2022, hope to see you soon!

CT 

23 hours ago, Plowboy said:

The paint on that VW van is nuts!

Thank you Roger!

Speaking of paint, I just finished shooting a 58 TBird custom with the "recipe" you were kind enough to share with me (AS-29 + Pearl clear + TS-13). It turned out great. I'll post it on this forum in a few weeks. Stay tuned!

Have a great 2022.

CT 

14 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Of course, I know you were suggesting a 1/1 car. I'd like it, but there is a 70 Challenger awaiting completion in my garage,

You know, I have a big heart, I could put this beautiful car in my garage, that way you would have enough space for the proposed project...LOL. 😁

You can't say I didn't try to help you!

On 1/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bernard Kron said:

Hi Claude. I'm surprised at how many of these projects I failed to see across this past year. You are truly a master of Radical Modern with both the skills and the vision to pull it off. Of course the relatively conservative "Acid Rush" is a delight but it's the simplicity and stance of the Torino that pushes my buttons.

All the best in 2022.
B.

Hi Bernard!

Thank you for the compliments, I'm flattered. 

About the "Acid Rush"... I was a teen in the 60's, and that was a "turbulent" decade...  So, I took precautions not to offend anyone with the "Acid Rush" name on the Challenger Funny-Car. Therefore, I added two "advisory" while making my custom decals. That may interest you...

CT 

DSC01166 (2).JPG

DSC01176 (2).JPG

30 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

...About the "Acid Rush"... I was a teen in the 60's, and that was a "turbulent" decade...  So, I took precautions not to offend anyone with the "Acid Rush" name on the Challenger Funny-Car. Therefore, I added two "advisory" while making my custom decals. That may interest you...

CT

😄😄 I'm so relieved!!!

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Nice job on all of them, but I'm digging the Cadillamino.

I Kurt!

Thank you, This conversion was inspired by a real car that was offered by a coachbuilder, in the 70's, called The Mirage. Mine is a little more "squarish", because it is based on a 64 Cad, not a 70.

You have to do with what's available, as my late mom said...

CT 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:59 AM, Dominik said:

cool stuff - that paint on the VW is very interesting. how did you made this?

Hi Dominik!

Thank you. I used cheap sparkling metallic fine tip (roller) Gel Pens, from Michael's (2$ each), and lightly touched the surface in random movements, with just enough pressure for the gel to grab the surface. If you press too hard, it will blotch, and might even run. You MUST let every color dry about 24 hours before going to the second, and then third, etc. Clear coat is mandatory, or it will smear on handling. I recommend waiting at least 72 hours before clearing, and getting a VERY light first "tack" coat before going on with heavier "wet" coats. 

Voilà!

CT