Model Cars Magazine Forum

Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K 3D Printer

A number of years ago when I first heard of 3D printing, I knew right away that it would be the next BIG wave in our hobby. I could see our hobby was changing with the likes of some big names in the aftermarket either no longer with us (on the earth plane) or were retiring..........Don and Carol Holthaus come to mind.

Some poo-pooed the idea of 3D printing, but one need look no further than what I mentioned above, as there's been a definite "shift in the winds".

Well, I took the plunge the other day, and I bought a 3D printer thanks to the very good suggestion of @my66s55. He recommended this model to me which I got from Amazon, and I have a video below which I made this morning and posted on FB. There's some bugs to be worked out as I messed up on a few parameters to get it to print correctly, but hopefully in the not too distant future, I can get some parts made that I'll need for some future projects. Take a look below...............

• Like 1

RESULTS! After working out the kinks to get this printer to cooperate, I got my first test piece done! I'm pretty impressed as there's some subtle things it picked up, like a spiral staircase INSIDE this object. Also, the embossed printing on the object is a nice touch. A VERY HUGE THANK YOU to @my66s55 for giving me the tips and tricks to get this to work. 👍

Here are a few pics..........

P1017215.JPG.9afbba308346bd1e315c6046bbd505a8.JPG
P1017216.JPG.0ad7ad67a34c0dc1efe80e298577e69c.JPG
P1017217.JPG.00f18cb0987ae456290ca372ad1ee4a7.JPG

One of the first things model related I want to print, is the front and rear suspension for the 1961 Volvo P1800. I'm leaning heavily towards that one to build for the Community Birth Year Build. It's the Airtrax kit and while it's not bad at all, Tapani didn't include the front and rear suspension. It's suggested to use the Hasegawa (?) MGB kits, but those are not exactly cheap to buy just for parts, and they can be hard to come by.

So.............hopefully in the near future, that will be one hurdle out of the way.

• Like 2

Looks decent. I need to send you some test files to zero in you prints. It looks good. but maybe could be better. The speck for printing I sent you were for 30 um layer height print specks. This is for something that you want to create fine detail or is small like door handles, side mirrors ect. Most larger prints will be done at 50 um. It's also better for prints with a curve or slant. There's also anti anti anti-aliasing to help eliminate the step results. Even though we have the same printer, honing in the best results can be off be .1 tenth of a second or more. As far as the Volvo 1800, I did some research on the subject. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

One of the first things model related I want to print, is the front and rear suspension for the 1961 Volvo P1800.

Nice print!  Does someone offer files for those parts that you’re printing or are you drawing them yourself?  Excited to see your progress with that machine!

16 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice print!  Does someone offer files for those parts that you’re printing or are you drawing them yourself?  Excited to see your progress with that machine!

The printer software comes with a test print. This was it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I meant the Volvo suspension parts he mentioned...my bad, wasn't clear...

To answer your question correctly, unless Bill has found a cad file for it, it will have to be created. As I pointed out on the Where do you find 3d files for printing on this thread, on my computer. You have to create them.

This is my first "official" part(s) coming out of the printer I have.

Last night, I showed this on the build plate on FB as it had just come out of the printer. Later, I put the engine stand and its associated parts in the UV box, and this helped a great deal in hardening up the parts.

Some observations......the printer has a feature which comes in real handy in after printing cleanup. It's a "vat cleaning" button which turns on the UV light, and makes the thin layer of resin stiffen up for easier removal. What I do after that is totally soak the vat in 91% alcohol, which makes the thin residue peel up like a sheet of paper. I use just my fingernails.......no sharp tools----don't want to damage the FEP.

After the resin residue is all washed out, I then run some water in the tray for some further cleaning. I'll then put the tray in my dehydrator at the lowest temp to evaporate any droplets, and I noticed that this makes the FEP crystal clear. I think that might have been part of my issue in getting bad prints before-------the FEP still had a slight haze on it the way I was trying to clean it before.

Well, I partially mocked up the engine stand with some of the parts that I printed, and along with that I put on a 3D printed engine that I built back in '17 for board member @my66s55. This was a test shot for a 1956-'58 Polyhead Chryco 318 which for whatever reason has NEVER been kitted. If you'd like to catch the original build thread, it is below.

This would be my first introduction to anything 3d printed, and that's when I knew that this would be the coming wave, which we now certainly see. I have some pics below of how this turned out......I'm going to later on clean up and paint the stand, along with the other attendant parts that go with it. I might even enter the Scalespeedgarage.com contest which wants builders to print and build this dyno stand along with an engine of their choice.

Should be interesting!

Thanks for looking!

P1017238.JPG.6e8939b4a0e8da0b8373809bd4a280e2.JPGP1017238.JPG.6e8939b4a0e8da0b8373809bd4a280e2.JPG
P1017239.JPG.d5f283d33a8b76465bf27a4d227ac4a7.JPGP1017239.JPG.d5f283d33a8b76465bf27a4d227ac4a7.JPG
P1017240.JPG.2834301d47254811e78eb8c9b1bd8b4b.JPGP1017240.JPG.2834301d47254811e78eb8c9b1bd8b4b.JPG
P1017241.JPG.06563897fa665d09872801dd67306d72.JPG

Welcome to the family Bill.

I love my 3D printer. Mine's just a baby one, but still can print some pretty cool items with it, my Volvo truck in the BRBO this year is 1/24 scale and HUGE.....

I just finished printing all my files for this last night, but haven't posted anything on it yet, 

2022 Bronco R race truck....

teaser2.png.6727ba9fbdaf7cb9918e6810b52ac48d.png

• Like 1