Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient Buick - 1910 Model 10 (Out of Box)

Faust

Finding new subjects to model is one of the great parts of this hobby, at least for me. When I branched out into building cars about 13 years ago, I never thought I’d build much more than a couple ‘80s loser machines. Well, then I found models of Street Vans, and Japanese Cars, and then weird Japanese cars, and it just spiralled from there.

My most recent source of interest is, as some of you know, Brass Era (BE) cars. I remember seeing these in museums I’d go to with my Uncle when I was little, and always thought they were cool. Now, I have started to set my sights on collecting kits of them! There are more early car kits than I thought, and I was lucky to find a bunch all at once in late 2021. When I posted the haul, I was surprised to find that the one most people wanted to see was actually the 1910 Buick!

So, check out the interesting and really very cool 1/32 Life-Like 1910 Buick Model 10 at the link below and you can see how Pyro and Life-Like were bringing the dawn of motoring to life half a century ago!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/life-like-hobbies-1-32-1910-buick-model-10-out-of-box/

spacer.png

• Like 1

Buick was the #2 automaker (after Ford) from 1907-1910.

Here is David Buick's grave marker at Woodmere Cemetery in Southwest Detroit:  

David Dunbar Buick (1854-1929) - Find a Grave Memorial

Henry Leland, founder of Cadillac and Lincoln, is also buried there:

Henry Martyn Leland (1843-1932) - Find a Grave Memorial

Edited by Motor City

Great write-up, thanks!  I also like those old PYRO/Life-Life 1/32 kits. It's a mark of their quality that the PYRO Model T Coupelet was re-issued in the 21st century by Lindberg.

The Lanchester and Stanley Steamer are not easy to find, but you already know that.  All the "Vintage Brass" kits used to be cheap at model kit shows and the occasional bargain still comes up on eBay, but not very often.  It seems easier to find them in the PYRO boxes than Life-Like.  The PYRO boxes are smaller than the Life-Like and better reflect the actual size of the kit.

Some other good ones in the PYRO Vintage Brass series:  the 1914 Mercer Raceabout and 1911 Mercer Toy Tonneau; 1906 Renault Town Car and Runabout; the 1912 Stevens-Duryea Touring Car and Roadster; 1909 Lozier-Briarcliff; 1912 Packard Touring Car; 1909 Cadillac Model 30; 1909 Rolls Silver Ghost; and the aforementioned Model T Couplet, also released as a neat Pie Wagon delivery vehicle. 

loz-bri.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, Fat Brian said:

You've already got me interested in loser malaise era kits, I can't afford to get into brass era cars too.

Fortunately, the Pyro and Life-Like brass kits aren't real expensive because they're 1/32. Great little kits. I have most, if not all of the Pyros.

I also have one of these Buicks. It's a nice little kit. I've been seriously toying with getting at it soon.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575