Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose Ford FD-100 in Splash Paint

There seems to be no shortage of interest in the Foose Ford FD-100 pickup here lately.  I commented on James Paramore's, (bluestringer), build of this pickup on Feb. 7th that I started mine when he did.  He did a beautiful job on his and had it done before I was even done with the body prep on mine 😂.  I am hoping mine turns out as nice as James' example did.

I did something that was new to me and kinda fun.  I posted on my Facebook page 4 pictures and labeled them 1 through 4.  There were 3 racecars and this pickup.  I asked my friends to choose which one I should build next.  By a margin of 2:1 the Foose pickup was the clear winner.  More women than men voted.  More non-model builders voted than model builders.

As is almost always the case with me, I am way further along in the build than my posts show.  To be honest I hope to have mine finished up this week.  I post WIPs in the hope that it may help someone else down the road.  I will put a caption above/before each picture if needed.

Here is the kit:

20220205 211005

The kit contents:

20220205 210533

I usually shoot a spoon with a new color to have an idea what it will look like.  We all know that the base will affect the final color.  I primed some spoons with Tamiya white primer.  I then masked it and shot it with Tamiya Gloss Aluminum.  I then shot the three colors you see.  I had bought the Splash Paint's Audi Autumn Shimmer a long time ago with this pick up in mind and in the end that is the one I picked.  The Dark Cherry was a close second.

20220206 164916

20220207 202436

20220207 201844

20220207 213321

On to body prep.  I have looked at a lot of built Foose pickups and watched a number of videos.  There is a very nasty "'step" on the passenger front fender right above the headlight.  

20220208 204623

I did some test fitting with the hood.  It looks like I can sand out the step without, (or instead of), adding putty.  I use a black Sharpie to highlight mold lines.

20220209 195301

20220209 194928

20220208 211540

This is a very, very nice kit from Revell but it is not perfect.  The roof is a separate part that fits on the molded on roof.  If I got it to sit correctly in the front, it would sit high in the back and visa-versa.  Nothing a little glue and a few clamps wouldn't fix!

20220209 212521

With all of the body prep completed, including rescribing door panels and scribing around the windshield and back window, (to facilitate applying BMF), she was ready for primer and paint.  I airbrushed Gravity Colors - Spain - dark surface primer.  I then laid down the Splash Paint Audi Autumn Shimmer.  BTW, this was my first time using Splash.

20220212 215038

Next update I'll be clear coating it and starting on the drivetrain.  Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

• Like 1

Looking pretty good there John.  I've never used Splash paint but it looks like it layed down nicely.  I've built two of these kits, one stock and one as a Pro Street.  Nice kit.  I have another in my stash.

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Looking pretty good there John.  I've never used Splash paint but it looks like it layed down nicely.  I've built two of these kits, one stock and one as a Pro Street.  Nice kit.  I have another in my stash.

Thank you, Bob!  I agree with you, it is a nice kit.  This is my first time using Splash Paint and only the third model body that I have airbrushed.  Any issues with the paint were caused by me and there were really no major issues.  I think I laid it down to heavy on the hood and slightly crazed a small area.

BTW, thank you for your service!  I also was USAF.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nacho Z said:

Thank you, Bob!  I agree with you, it is a nice kit.  This is my first time using Splash Paint and only the third model body that I have airbrushed.  Any issues with the paint were caused by me and there were really no major issues.  I think I laid it down to heavy on the hood and slightly crazed a small area.

BTW, thank you for your service!  I also was USAF.

Thanks.  Thank you for your service as well.  

• Thanks 1

The paint has had time to cure.  I sanded back a few spots and actually reshot the hood.  I cleared everything with Tamiya TS-13 straight from the can.

20220221 132023

20220221 131830

While the clear coat cured I worked on the chassis and drivetrain.

20220222 223405

20220225 214332

20220225 214451

Next up is interior and polishing out the paint.  Thanks for looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Pickup is looking good.  The TS-13 made that paint come to life. 

It really did.  I was kind of liking the flat sheen of the paint but was always going to clear it.  I'll post one more update before posting in the "Under Glass" section.  I'm happy with the level of shine I was able to coax out of that paint job. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2022 at 11:45 PM, slusher said:

Beautiful paint!  Chassis and engine look awesome!

Thank you, Carl!

On 3/4/2022 at 11:57 AM, ewetwo said:

That color is beautiful!

It is sure is.  I'm very happy that I went with it.

On 3/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint work. Any one of the colors would look great. Great looking chassis. 

Thank you, David!

On 3/4/2022 at 10:36 PM, NOBLNG said:

It really looks great!👍 I would have had a hard time choosing between those colours. 

I agree with you!  I always did lean towards the Splash Paint Autumn Shimmer however.

This will be the final update.  I will post up some pics in the Under Glass section.

I kept the interior very minimalistic.  I chose colors that I hope compliment the body color.

For paint polishing I use the Micro Mesh cloths and then I use the three Tamiya compounds.  I do not use any type of rotary tool as I find that I rather enjoy the act of polishing the paint out by hand.  Oddly perhaps, I find it relaxing.  When I was happy with the finish I cleaned out the panel lines and added some panel liner.

20220226 194536

20220226 202107

I did a quick mockup to check the fit of the bed and interior.

20220226 202947

20220227 190620

20220227 190556

20220227 190744

How about one teaser picture?  Once again, this is just a mockup to see how everything fits together.  None of the final bits and pieces are attached yet and nothing is glued in place.  I have not even cleaned out the panel lines.

20220301 195658

• Like 2

• 1 month later...