Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detroit Diesel engine project

Just over a month ago I decided that I needed to jump into the world of 3D printing. My biggest issue with it was that I have absolutely no 3D software experience. I didn't want to rely on buying what I wanted from others, as this can get expensive. So a week and a half ago I decided that Fusion 360 was the best option for me and I set out to learn it. 

I love the Detroit engines and thought I should create one in Fusion so I can print them for future projects. I started with a plastic part from the new 4070 kit and a set of calipers. Here is where I am at right now. It is not perfect, but at 1/25 scale I think it will be close enough for me. I still have a few details to add, but I am close to done. 

It is in separate parts just like a kit engine, the block is 2 halves, heads, valve covers, etc. The block and heads are shelled(hollowed out). 

What do you think?  

Detroit Diesel 1.png

Detroit DIesel 2.png

Detroit DIesel 3.png

Cool project. I just received two 3D printed engines and the detail is amazing. I worked for Detroit for quite a few years and still have some service manuals if you need more pictures. This appears to be an 8V71 or 92. This engine is available in many of the older kits. Is there a possibility of adding a turbo and maybe make it a DDEC or electronic controlled? 
Next could be a Series 60 project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldriginal86 said:

Cool project. I just received two 3D printed engines and the detail is amazing. I worked for Detroit for quite a few years and still have some service manuals if you need more pictures. This appears to be an 8V71 or 92. This engine is available in many of the older kits. Is there a possibility of adding a turbo and maybe make it a DDEC or electronic controlled? 
Next could be a Series 60 project.

My goal was to see if I could do it, I know that the engine is available in kits, but sometimes I want the engine and don't want to have to buy a whole kit, or spend $20+ for a resin and wait for shipping. 

I also set it as a challenge for myself. I wanted to learn Fusion and I figured I would draw something I wanted and that was of use to me. It was also a challenging project. 

I used the 8V71 from the 4070 kit as my donor to copy. If I had to good pictures, or the manual I could add the turbo, DDEC or Electronic Control. The 4070 is non-turbo, so that i why it is what it is. 

I will also be using it for older 70's vintage trucks and so the non-turbo was more common. 

Someday I am going to build a 1974 Hendrickson/Ryder Paymaster and it will get the turbo. 

Learning Fusion 360 and owning a resin 3D printer really opens up the world of models beyond what is available in kit or aftermarket. If I can dream it and draw it, I can make it. 

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

Looks fantastic so far 

A mechanical tech I work w uses Fusion 360 for his hobby making atv parts. He loves the software

I'm getting to really like it. You really have to change the way you think. You have to be able to mentally break things down into little parts. If you try to see the whole, you get overwhelmed. 

It looks amazing, looks like the future for modelling too! Out of interest, would you be able to put a cost to the engine once printed, disregarding the printer cost. Is there a cost for the software? Could a person draw something up on the software and send the file to someone for printing, or would that be impractical?  I'm sorry about all the questions,  they just kept coming as I was typing! Feel free to say "Dunno".

5 hours ago, Rockford said:

It looks amazing, looks like the future for modelling too! Out of interest, would you be able to put a cost to the engine once printed, disregarding the printer cost. Is there a cost for the software? Could a person draw something up on the software and send the file to someone for printing, or would that be impractical?  I'm sorry about all the questions,  they just kept coming as I was typing! Feel free to say "Dunno".

No problem, I am happy to answer the question. 

Cost of the engine, about $2, this is in the cost of the resin. The resin is about $25-35 per Kilo. So a large bottle. I have been running a lot of prints including a 9in tall Mandalorian figure with several extra large parts and a Grogu, extra cape, etc. and I have used 2/3 of one bottle and 3/4 of another. So, while the resin is not free, the $30 bottle lasts a long time and you get a lot of parts out of it. 

Printers range in price, from $200 on up. Mine is a larger format, not the biggest, but I can print a 1/24 scale body flat without cutting it. I am into mine for about $520.

The software can be free or costly. TinckerCad is free, Fusion 360 is free for a "Hobbiest" version (what I use) and there are other free 3D drawing programs. However for the PRO version of any software it can be very expensive. 

The slicer software is again free for the basic version, that is all I use. 

Yes, Not only can you draw something and send it to someone else to print, there are sites that you can buy a file and it gives the option of sending it to someone to print. Or, if you have a friend with a printer they can print it for you. Shapeways is another option, you can draw something and load it to Shapeways an they will print it for you and also make it available for other to buy and you get a kick back when they do.

If you buy a printer you can buy files from a large number(and growing) of places and print files others have made. This includes full car and truck kits, cool stuff too. Thingiverse is a web site that hosts free files (.STL, .OBJ) that you can download, print, modify, etc. 

I am just getting into this, so I do not have all the answers, but I am happy to share what I do know.

I think this is the future of our hobby, but I don't see the kits going away, this will just allow us to get the most out of the kits and create things that are not practical for manufacturers to kit. Like say a Lada Niva, I doubt Revell will ever take the time to kit one, but I can buy a file off of Cults 3D and print it myself.  

5 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Good luck with this project , one suggestion is update the injector covers

s-l1600.jpg.c8dd63a6cabc968c4f1438f74f41d9f6.jpg

greg

Are These for the 71 or 92 series? What would these be correct on? I know very little about Detroits, I have worked on them a little bit, but it has been 30 years. 

Well, I have now taken it from idea, to drawing, to reality. There were a couple of minor flawsin the first print, but overall I am happy. The starter solinoid did not come out perfect, so I just replaced it with aluminum tube. The bottom of the trans needsjust a little bit of filling, but not too bad. 

So, here it is, Detroit 8V71 waiting on a truck to put it in. I have the intake elbow, but I did not glue it on as I don't know what ttruck this will go in and don't know what direction it will need to face. 

20220410_163726.jpg

20220410_163746.jpg

20220410_163757.jpg

20220410_163807.jpg

20220410_163834.jpg