Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart GTS

dsummone

So… This being just my third build since I was a kid and finding this site, I stupidly thought any brand was BMF big mistake! What a freaking mess, glue sticking everywhere. I’m going to try and clean it up but may end up dunking the body in that purple stuff and repainting. Ugh!

3CD9FECD-602D-48C8-B099-3C7440843ADD.jpeg

11782D9A-184C-4437-B728-B8791DA86AE6.jpeg

CEE7B79B-B9B7-4867-B44C-DB98DF4FA126.jpeg

Ouch!

The outer package suggests a more aggressive adhesive but clearly that’s not at all a good thing. Wow. That’s really disappointing.

I would do what you suggested and start over but what a PITA!

Cheers,     
Wolf

Yikes!

How unfortunate.  Before you tank it, try some water-based solvents for removing the foil. Start with warm soap and water, just like a paint prep. Then maybe Windex or rubbing alcohol.

Best of luck with that, it really stinks to come so far only to have such a mishap so close to the finish.

David G.

The body is out of the dunk tank, rinsed and getting ready for primer. But in the meantime I thought I’d start my 66 Beetle engine. 
I will start a separate thread for this build but wanted to share some pics here. 
Dave. 

AC61F581-D3C1-40CB-84FB-88A12953C6E6.jpeg

592AF125-0339-4F80-A7B8-36AB5A161B33.jpeg

C3C36A18-3B11-4F29-A013-7D4C2D293FCB.jpeg

AFEB235B-4F7A-4F89-A8AB-1FB8A6590FE9.jpeg

Nice little 1300 Beetle engine.

I’ve worked on a few of those (I mean a lot!) in a former lifetime.

Dave, if I may make a suggestion? The voltage regulator attached to the fan housing should be removed. It already has a voltage regulator attached to the top of the generator so you only need one. Why Tamiya provide the kit with two is something of a mystery. Just fill in the hole left on the fan housing afterwards. The ‘66 Bug was the last year for the 6 volt electrical system too. I have this same kit in my stash and was going to build it as my first contribution to this forum. Somehow the ‘71 Hemi ‘Cuda called out louder!

Cheers,      
Wolf

7 hours ago, Wolf said:

Nice little 1300 Beetle engine.

I’ve worked on a few of those (I mean a lot!) in a former lifetime.

Dave, if I may make a suggestion? The voltage regulator attached to the fan housing should be removed. It already has a voltage regulator attached to the top of the generator so you only need one. Why Tamiya provide the kit with two is something of a mystery. Just fill in the hole left on the fan housing afterwards. The ‘66 Bug was the last year for the 6 volt electrical system too. I have this same kit in my stash and was going to build it as my first contribution to this forum. Somehow the ‘71 Hemi ‘Cuda called out louder!

Cheers,      
Wolf

Thanks Wolf, I didn’t even recognize that. 

37 minutes ago, dsummone said:

Whoops 

1CB7D92A-5A8D-4A2F-A689-97E592E8EBB7.jpeg

F5654458-9FA8-4CEE-8190-826307A8A8DE.jpeg

Boy, you're not kidding it's cursed! What did you punch after the Dart hit the floor?

😲

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                       Wolf

9 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Boy, you're not kidding it's cursed! What did you punch after the Dart hit the floor?

😲

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                       Wolf

Slip of the exacto knife on the bug. 

2 hours ago, dsummone said:

Slip of the exacto knife on the bug. 

Judas H Priest Dave! 

Please tell me it wasn't while you were removing the unnecessary voltage regulator from the fan housing?

I once had an Xacto knife roll off my bench and bury the blade into the top of my foot. Definitely not as bad as your injury. Is there anything I can continue building on the Bug for you while you recover? 😉

What colour are you planning on doing your Bug in?

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Wolf

3 hours ago, Wolf said:

Judas H Priest Dave! 

Please tell me it wasn't while you were removing the unnecessary voltage regulator from the fan housing?

I once had an Xacto knife roll off my bench and bury the blade into the top of my foot. Definitely not as bad as your injury. Is there anything I can continue building on the Bug for you while you recover? 😉

What colour are you planning on doing your Bug in?

Cheers,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Wolf

No, not the voltage regulator😁 I was actually trying to clean some glue off of a tip to glue the seat backs on and had a brain fart… never cut toward yourself  

I’m going for something just a little greener than the sea blue that I think my bug had from the factory, when I got it, it had been repainted but it wasn’t that far off from the blue, just a bit more green. 

How long to wait would also depend on the paint used. Most, and maybe not all, Lacquer paints usually are good within 24 hours based on my experience.  Enamels will tend to have a longer drying time depending on the brand of paint used. This is based on paints designed for model building. Hardware store type paints can and often due take longer. David G.'s suggestion of the sniff test may make more sense than you might think.  

I like the Dart project, I'm building a few old family cars now myself.  I have my old 56 Chevy and my dad's 64 VW on the bench.  

That Dart kit is a good one, especially that chassis.  Perfect for replacing old one piece chassis on older kits.  I have a few tucked away for that purpose.