Model Cars Magazine Forum

The notorious Revell 29 A part # 50

I'm not sure where to put this thread but hopefully......anyway, those of us whom have built the Revell '29 A roadster recently know about this. For those just discovering the issue regarding part #50, relief is simply a matter of asking for a new one like I did.  I got a very quick response and got the new part(s) within 2 weeks.  My care package arrived today from The Fatherland in a small corrugated box, carefully packed in crinkled paper and some polyethylene full of EU air. Below is what was in the box.  You can see the windshield frame is not perfect, but better than the one I got in my kit. I guess I'm spoiled because I expected a perfect part because I know that this part can be perfect because the ones I got in my other kits were but alas, this must be the best they can do now. There is a bonus, though. On the tree is a nicely plated radiator/shell, an instrument cluster, and a pair of door handles that will come in handy somewhere 😀. Gotta love that.IMG_2525.thumb.jpg.ee445a58b19918f600488e5c4286f369.jpg

• Like 1

The one in my first kit was just fine. Due to all the comments on here about that part, I opened and checked my second kit. It was warped.😕 They sent me a new one upon request.🙂 Everyone with one of these kits on the shelf should check it if you haven’t already. It looks like the sprue frame has bowed outwards and pulled the windshield frame out of shape.🤔

2690C819-7A14-4ED1-8B79-554D3FB1FF7D.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

I have this kit myself and I'll have to double check mine.  What is part #50 suppose to be? EDIT: Wait that's the windshield part lol.  So there notorious for being bent?

Edited by Dpate

7 hours ago, Dpate said:

I have this kit myself and I'll have to double check mine.  What is part #50 suppose to be? EDIT: Wait that's the windshield part lol.  So there notorious for being bent?

Yes indeed.  It's such a thin and fragile part 😪.  I tried to glue the clear "glass" to my slightly misshapen frame with poor results. The replacement I received from Revell Germany is better but still not right.  If I take great pains,  I may be successful joining the parts using the fume-free CA glue.  Ill try it some day when my head is right 🥴.

The first issue of the kit was fine but this second issue (not a "Special Edition") is notorious for the windshield frame (#50 😁) and I have noticed  my latest one,  purchased 2 months ago, has minor plating issues. There are instruction errors too (from the original issue and still not corrected), so be careful.

I went threw this last year on the two kits I built.  The first replacements they sent me were a also warped.  I had to contact them again and ask for another pair.  I ended up getting a pair of straight windshield frames but it took a while.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had checked my kit and mine was warped too.  Not as bad as I've seen here, but it was still warped.  My replacement parts came in today and i should of took a picture, but it's perfect - they also sent extra set of  glass parts too and i didn't even ask for that lol.

Edited by Dpate

I'd bet that either:

-the parts are being pulled out of the tool before being completely cooled (which would happen when production is speeded up)

-the heat involved in the vacuum plating process is enough to cause this.  Parts tree design (location of where the part is attached to the tree could be to blame also)

What happens when the windshield frame is separated from the tree?  The more mildly warped examples look like it wouldn't take much to put them right, and attaching the glass would force them the remainder of the way.  Not the best solution, but should be workable in many cases.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm done with buying these roadsters but I still have one kit left to build. If the frame isn't too badly warped, one way to make-do is to eliminate the top rail and replace the provided "glass" with some clear acetate and....VOILA! 

Chopped! Just touch up the top of the posts with Molotow.IMG_2834.thumb.jpg.080adfc3d5d874580c817b94940e4b89.jpg