Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is this part

Anything to indicate size?  

If you have the custom only version, and that part isn't mentioned in the instructions, then it will be one of a number of parts for the stock version that slipped into the custom only kit.

No, this isn't that. I have that part as well. I wish I'd paid attention to the part number before removing it, but I was going to use it on another build then changed my mind. I want to say it was 59 or 69 but not sure.

Edited by Classicgas

14 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Just looked through my custom version and the only piece I saw that even resembles that one is called the horn driver and is part #9.  Not sure what a horn driver is, but that is what they call it.

Electric compressor for an air horn?

I think your going to have to look at the original issue to find that part, possibly the generator, I don't have the instructions for the original issue handy...but its not on the instructions for the custom version. Sorry can't be more help.

Just located my original instruction sheet, and that part is not shown on it, close but not quite are the gen and the horn driver...

Edited by Vintage AMT

All this speculation made me dig out an old instruction sheet for the 2 in 1 '50 Ford pickup. The only thing i can see that is close is the part #9 that is called "Horn Driver" on the instruction sheet. Could this mean the part is the horn to be mounted on the driver's side if the model? That is the way I take it anyway and being mounted to the front of the radiator it would make sense. The part #69 the "Horn Cone" is mentioned, and I think that maybe a part of the horn. They used parts that had different shapes than what we may be accustomed to seeing on newer vintage vehicles. 

I too looked at both the stock only (first issue) and custom only (second issue) and didn't see anything resembling that part.  There's a later "big custom wheels" issue, but as I remember most of the unique parts tooled for that one were very toylike and probably wouldn't have included something like that.

If you were going to use it for some other build, what did you intend to use it as?