Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Kenworth Dump truck 4Q

Mr mopar

On the boxart the grille looks more sqareish like on the W900B but it is a W900A like all other Revell Germany W900's.
As the regular W900 tractor was out not that long ago I had hoped they would reissue something else from their truck line, they have lots left to do wich hasn't been out in decades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Force said:

On the boxart the grille looks more sqareish like on the W900B but it is a W900A like all other Revell Germany W900's.
As the regular W900 tractor was out not that long ago I had hoped they would reissue something else from their truck line, they have lots left to do wich hasn't been out in decades.

I agree with you ! the Beall tank trailer would have been a better choice. 

21 hours ago, stavanzer said:

When I first saw this my first thought was that it was a Revell Re-box of the Italeri Dump Truck, but that kit is a Freightliner. And 1/24 Scale. So, this has to be a different kit.

ITALERI - Freightliner Heavy Dumper Truck

Yes that's a different kit, the only thing they have in common is that both are dump trucks.
Here is a picture from an earlier issue of the Revell kit.

Boxart Kenworth Dump Truck 07523 Revell

The picture I provided above is the first issue of the dump truck version from 1994 It's the exact same kit and it is 1/25th scale, so it's a typo on the box.
Revell AG has done the same with some other versions of their W900.

Here are the different issues and versions based on the Revell AG Kenworth W900 tooling up to now, pictures borrowed from Scalemates.

The original issue from 1992 in 1/25th scale
Boxart Kenworth W-900 07538 Revell

Same kit different box also from 1992-93
Boxart Kenworth W-900 7538 Revell

Another version of the W900 with a trailer from 1993, this time they put 1/24th scale on the box for some reason, but there are no 1/24 scale W900 kit out there so it's the same 1/25th scale kit as before.
Boxart Thurn & Taxis Show Truck - Kenworth & Trailer 7548 Revell

The W900/T900 Australia from 1993, same as the first tractor kit with some added parts, 1/25th scale
111552-10592-pristine.jpg

The first issue of the dump truck from 1994, 1/24th scale on the box, but the basic kit is the same as the tractor with the dump body added.
Boxart Kenworth Dump Truck 07523 Revell

Another version of the dump truck from 1995, now with a pup trailer and the W900/T900 Australia parts in it....1/24 on the box again.
Boxart Kenworth Dumper &Tandem Trailer 07556 Revell

They did the wrecker version in 1996...1/24th scale on the box.
Boxart Kenworth K-900 Wrecker 07509 Revell

Same kit in a different box also 1996-97
Boxart Kenworth W900 Wrecker 85-7634 Revell

Next version of this kit as a tractor from 2009, 1/25th scale.
Boxart Kenworth W-900 07497 Revell

The third issue of the Wrecker kit from 2010, now the box says 1/25th scale but it's the exact same kit as the other wrecker kits.
Boxart Kenworth W900 Wrecker 07402 Revell

Fourth issue of the W900 Wrecker from 2015

Boxart Kenworth W-900 Wrecker 85-2510 Revell

The most recent issue of the tractor from 2020
Boxart Kenworth W-900 07659 Revell

Last but not least the upcoming dump tuck kit.12628_2_002__13379.jpg

So Revell AG did not tool up two different W900 kits in different scales and not in scales so close together, so all these are based on the same tool.

Edited by Force

That W900 had to be older than 1992. I think it's as old as the Cabover KW and the Pete 359. I can't see a reason why in 1992 Revell would make a 1980s spec W900, because by 1992 the W900 had square quad headlights and slightly different front fenders. Plus the kit has 230+parts with opening doors which is a sign of those Venice designed, European "Trucks of the World" kits from the early 80s.

The 1/24 Pete & W900 kits are Monogram SnapTite kits and while they're the same vintage as the Revell kits that's way back before the merger and aren't related. The scale on that one box is a misprint indeed.

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

That W900 had to be older than 1992. I think it's as old as the Cabover KW and the Pete 359. I can't see a reason why in 1992 Revell would make a 1980s spec W900, because by 1992 the W900 had square quad headlights and slightly different front fenders. Plus the kit has 230+parts with opening doors which is a sign of those Venice designed, European "Trucks of the World" kits from the early 80s.

The 1/24 Pete & W900 kits are Monogram SnapTite kits and while they're the same vintage as the Revell kits that's way back before the merger and aren't related. The scale on that one box is a misprint indeed.

IIRC besides the 1/32nd scale the Monogram Snap-tite big rigs were 1/25th scale too.

21 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

No the Kenworth W900 kit was not issued at the same time as the Kenworth K100 and Peterbilt 359 wich came 1982 and I did not see it anywhere and in any catalogs under the 1980's.
Why they did an older spec pre-1982 truck kit in 1992 I have no clue but they for sure did, it can for sure have been designed in Venice like the others but it did not come on the market until 1992.
The W900 kit doesn't share any parts with the K100 kits as the W900 kit is from a completly different tooling...and I have to disappoint you, this kit has lots of parts as you say but does not have opening doors, the cab is one piece with a tilting extended hood, the sleeper (if the kit has one) is not detailed at all like the Peterbilt sleepers are, the curtain between the cab and sleeper is molded closed and the sleeper is just an empty box.
The Kenworth K100's, T600's and Peterbilt's has a Cummins NTC 475 Twin Turbo straight 6 engine and this Kenworth W900 kit has a Caterpillar 3408 V8 like the big scale 1/16 Kenworth W900 kits originally issued by Monogram and later Revell had, and this W900 kit looks like it could be a down scaled 1/16 kit, I just compared the instructions on the Modeltrucks25 Fotki site and the breakdowns and design of the parts looks very similar between the two and that can't have been a coincidence.
I don't have the original issue myself so I haven't seen the copyright date on that one but all information I have found indicates the first issue came in 1992 and the date for all other versions does also look correct.

And as Luc says, the Monogram later Revell snap kits are indeed 1/25th scale, as far as I know no Kenworth kits has ever been done in 1/24th scale, just 1/43, 1/32, 1/25 and 1/16.

Edited by Force

7 hours ago, Force said:

No the Kenworth W900 kit was not issued at the same time as the Kenworth K100 and Peterbilt 359 wich came 1982 and I did not see it anywhere and in any catalogs under the 1980's.
Why they did an older spec pre-1982 truck kit in 1992 I have no clue but they for sure did, it can for sure have been designed in Venice like the others but it did not come on the market until 1992.
The W900 kit doesn't share any parts with the K100 kits as the W900 kit is from a completly different tooling...and I have to disappoint you, this kit has lots of parts as you say but does not have opening doors, the cab is one piece with a tilting extended hood, the sleeper (if the kit has one) is not detailed at all like the Peterbilt sleepers are, the curtain between the cab and sleeper is molded closed and the sleeper is just an empty box.
The Kenworth K100's, T600's and Peterbilt's has a Cummins NTC 475 Twin Turbo straight 6 engine and this Kenworth W900 kit has a Caterpillar 3408 V8 like the big scale 1/16 Kenworth W900 kits originally issued by Monogram and later Revell had, and this W900 kit looks like it could be a down scaled 1/16 kit, I just compared the instructions on the Modeltrucks25 Fotki site and the breakdowns and design of the parts looks very similar between the two and that can't have been a coincidence.
I don't have the original issue myself so I haven't seen the copyright date on that one but all information I have found indicates the first issue came in 1992 and the date for all other versions does also look correct.

And as Luc says, the Monogram later Revell snap kits are indeed 1/25th scale, as far as I know no Kenworth kits has ever been done in 1/24th scale, just 1/43, 1/32, 1/25 and 1/16.

Consider myself educated. Thanks for all of the clarification. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 2:18 PM, Luc Janssens said:

Yes, the eddylenders site is one of my sources of information, and the Modeltrucks25 Fotki site where you can look up instructions where a copyright date sometimes are printed.
Scalemates it's also a good site for information but there are some inaccuracies there and sometimes they don't have the history of kits and what kits are based on correct, so it's not really that reliable all the time, I did send them an email regarding the Revell Germany Kenworth W900 kits just after I did the timeline here and pointed out the inaccuracies on that kits timeline, because Scalemates had 3 different timelines for kits based on the same basic model kit tooling, one timeline for most of the kit versions in 1/25 scale, one timeline for the kits marked 1/24 scale wich is wrong, and one for the T900 "Australian" kit, all these kits are based on the same W900 tooling so they should be on the same timeline.
Another site is the Drastic Plastic Fotki albums with boxart and instructions where some information can be found.
Often you just need  pictures of the box from all sides as a copyright date is printed somewhere on the box owadays, or as I said, printed on the instructions.

3 hours ago, Force said:

Yes, the eddylenders site is one of my sources of information, and the Modeltrucks25 Fotki site where you can look up instructions where a copyright date sometimes are printed.
Scalemates it's also a good site for information but there are some inaccuracies there and sometimes they don't have the history of kits and what kits are based on correct, so it's not really that reliable all the time, I did send them an email regarding the Revell Germany Kenworth W900 kits just after I did the timeline here and pointed out the inaccuracies on that kits timeline, because Scalemates had 3 different timelines for kits based on the same basic model kit tooling, one timeline for most of the kit versions in 1/25 scale, one timeline for the kits marked 1/24 scale wich is wrong, and one for the T900 "Australian" kit, all these kits are based on the same W900 tooling so they should be on the same timeline.
Another site is the Drastic Plastic Fotki albums with boxart and instructions where some information can be found.
Often you just need  pictures of the box from all sides as a copyright date is printed somewhere on the box owadays, or as I said, printed on the instructions.

If you want something fixed there (Scalemates) PM the information and I can get it fixed, I have Editor privileges there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 4:46 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like 1/24 is for the Euro market, 1/25 is for the USA.

"Hey Klaus, put whatever scale on it that takes to get it to sell, they'll never know the difference."

Funny the guy who designed most of the variations on the ex-Revell Venice trucks name is Klaus, Klaus Lassen!

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:46 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like 1/24 is for the Euro market, 1/25 is for the USA.

"Hey Klaus, put whatever scale on it that takes to get it to sell, they'll never know the difference."

It's most likely a typo as all Revell Germany's own tool US trucks are the same scale.
The original issues came pretty much at the same time in the US and the rest of the world so I don't think that's the reason for different scale markings and if you look at my timeline above you'll see that the 1/24th scale and 1/25th scale boxes are issued at different times.
Revell Germany did rebox and issue some of Italeri's kits and they are 1/24th scale tho'.

7 minutes ago, Force said:

It's most likely a typo as all Revell Germany's own tool US trucks are the same scale.
The original issues came pretty much at the same time in the US and the rest of the world so I don't think that's the reason for different scale markings and if you look at my timeline above you'll see that the 1/24th scale and 1/25th scale boxes are issued at different times.
Revell Germany did rebox and issue some of Italeri's kits and they are 1/24th scale tho'.

What's funny is that their Kenworth Australian truck is labeled 1/25, while the Road Train trailers it pulls are labeled as 1/24. ;)